Beta Download Mirrors

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Martin Blank

Re: Beta Download Mirrors

Post by Martin Blank »

OK, people, seriously, Olympus is not going to even dent the SourceForge mirrors. How big is the final package going to be? A meg or so? These locations deliver up connections far beyond what you have available; HEANET has a gigabit connection on its own, and routinely sits at the 100Mbps traffic level, with downloads of CD and even some DVD ISOs common.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

how
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

itunes66 wrote: 20000 MB - bandwidth (not even used 2% for this month)
No offence but I eat 20gig of bandwidth for lunch. Thats a tiny amount. ;)

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Cheater512 wrote: No offence but I eat 20gig of bandwidth for lunch. Thats a tiny amount. ;)
Quite. ;) phpBB.com's website alone gets through that amount of bandwidth on a quiet day. ;)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

holy ****, k i need an upgrade then, ill let you know when i got that

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

My sites generally chew at least 10gig a day. :)
itunes66 wrote: holy ****, k i need an upgrade then, ill let you know when i got that
I'm guessing your on shared hosting. Its not adequate to be a big mirror.
I've got two dual processor servers with a combined bandwidth limit of 4 Terrabytes a month. ;)

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

yes but the person thats hosting me is getting a dedicated server (i think (he just told me he has to fork out money to get a new server so yeah)) :)

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

itunes66 wrote: yes but the person thats hosting me is getting a dedicated server (i think (he just told me he has to fork out money to get a new server so yeah)) :)
He might well do already, but you still have a shared hosting package.

I still maintain that there is absolutely no need for any additional mirroring. phpBB is not going to take down 15 odd vast sourceforge mirrors, as nice as it would be.

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

i would think so, new releases for anything popular is going to make a big hit, i hope phpbb had unlimited bandwidth and a heck of a server

fiber cable anyone LOL

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

itunes66 wrote: i would think so, new releases for anything popular is going to make a big hit, i hope phpbb had unlimited bandwidth and a heck of a server

fiber cable anyone LOL
OSUOSL connectivity page wrote: We are housed at Oregon State University which has graciously provided us with ample machine room space with redundant power and uplinks to the outside world. We receive our connection through NERO who currently has uplinks to Level3, Sprint, Williams Telecommunications and of course Internet2. As of this writing, we have 2 x OC48 circuits for driving traffic out of the Open Source Lab (one for commodity and one for Internet2).
That's 4.8 Gigabits/second worth of connectivity, or shifting a DVD ISO in about 8 seconds. ;) OSUOSL can cope quite well plus each of SF's mirrors will have similar connectivity.

The real issue with SF is the fact it takes some time for the mirrors to replicate new releases... rather than the amount of data they can show through their pipes. ;)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way