phpBB3 estimate..

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
nuclear_eclipse

Re: phpBB3 estimate..

Post by nuclear_eclipse »

yexusbeliever wrote:
Grok wrote: The upgrade scipt is what's important to me. I would convert my sites to Olympus now if I had the script.
I am waiting for just that!! :)
You could always copy-paste all the posts and users in your forum by hand.... :!:

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

I am sure importing the database is not going to be that hard. So you may not be require to copy and paste all those posts.
hmm....

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Grok wrote: The upgrade scipt is what's important to me. I would convert my sites to Olympus now if I had the script.
That's exactly the reason why it isn't being released. I'm sure you would be able to support yourself if you'd run into trouble ;) but imagine all the support questions this would generate when everyone and their uncle could get their hands on a conversion script and start converting their phpBB 2 boards.

Grok

Post by Grok »

These guys don't seem to have any problem saying "NO SUPPORT" or "use at your own risk". A few boards with a thousand or so members would definately help flush out the more serious bugs.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Try saying "no support" 100 times as often as it has to be said now ;) Once they don't get enough bug reports in to keep them busy anymore, I'm sure they will take the next step and go to beta. And then the next step and release a converter. Etc.

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Grok wrote: These guys don't seem to have any problem saying "NO SUPPORT" or "use at your own risk". A few boards with a thousand or so members would definately help flush out the more serious bugs.
It is really for the reason that users will not bug the developers. If there are bugs you found, I think you can post the bugs in the bug tracker. This way the devs can look at it and try to fix the bugs. It is faster for them to work this way.
hmm....

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I'm sure the developers will go to beta once the flow of bugs slows down to a trickle. I'm sure they'll release the converter once the flows slows down after that. Then the next step is RC (or maybe that coincides with the release of the converter).

Of course, then there's the position of us, the users. I would like to get my hands on a converter as soon as possible too, so that I can take a backup of my live board and have some data to play around with. But I can wholeheartedly understand that the developers would like to keep some kind of control over the accessibility of the software, so that the incoming bugs don't outpace their workpace.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I don't think they are holding back the upgrade script because they don't want a bunch of bug reports at once...they are more doing it so that they don't get 5,000 people complaining how something screwed up their boards when they converted to 3, and start asking a million questions about it. ;)

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Well... yeah... Let's just generalize "bug report" and "support question" to "problem report" and we're both right :)

davaguco

Post by davaguco »

I like how this version looks. However I have always found that it is a bad idea to install version 1 of any software on a live environment.