smf...

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
EXreaction

smf...

Post by EXreaction »

Dang...I love phpBB2, but if I went with SMF(which is much nicer then BB2 IMO) it would let us use an awsome CMS... :?

I am rather stuck here...because I really love phpBB3...but phpBB2 just doesn't work out with what we want to do...

So, to the main question...if I convert the posts and everything over to SMF(can it even be done?) would there be some way to move back to phpBB2 and then upgrade to phpBB3, or go from SMF right to phpBB3?

SamG

Re: smf...

Post by SamG »

Visit the Convertors forum at http://www.phpbb.com" target="_blank for questions and information about a convertor from SMF to phpBB 2. This isn't the right place to asking phpBB 2 support questions on a couple fronts.

And we're all nice guys around here, but you can hardly expect us to be qualified (let alone motivated) to say much about converting to SMF.

As for a convertor from SMF to phpBB 3, it's premature to be asking.

Some friendly advice: Use whatever forum product suits your needs best and be done with it. It's just forum software, not something really worth agonizing over, IMHO. :)

MacForum

Post by MacForum »

Simple Machines offers a phpBB2 > SMF converter.

phpBB should offer the SMF > phpBB3 converter soon, just like they have the SMF >
phpBB2 converters now.
Like Macs or just want to see Olympus Live? ;)
www.macgig.com

SamG

Post by SamG »

The availability of a convertor to or from is only part of the equation. What, if any, are the complications in the conversion process? What, if anything, is lost in the conversion? Would pre-planning make the conversion process easier or more productive?

This isn't the place to investigate and learn about these things, if the forum description is to be taken at face value. In any case, it's useful to go to better sources of information.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I was just wondering about converters...since there are, I will test out everything ahead of time on my local server before we would do anything IF we decide to use SMF...

Thanks for the info guys...I will have to see how this will all turn out...I don't know if we will even use smf(I would rather make an upgrader myself(from 2 to 3) and use phpBB3 instead)...but its nice to know it all my options. :)

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

localhost? testing conversion? thats asking for trouble. since your localhost wont have a large userbase etc.- it becomes hard when it is a large db to convert. things can go wrong- and it can go wrong even faster with a bigger db to make it short.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Uchiha Nick wrote: localhost? testing conversion? thats asking for trouble. since your localhost wont have a large userbase etc.- it becomes hard when it is a large db to convert. things can go wrong- and it can go wrong even faster with a bigger db to make it short.
Thats why I export the database from the real server, make a backup, import it to my localhost, and set it up exactly as it is on my normal server(with the files), then try it out. 8)

Nobody will use it, and it will be exactly the same as the one on my server. :mrgreen:

(I have done this before when I wanted to install the CH mod for phpBB2...and it worked great then)

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

whew- never tried that one out myself :P

that does allow for quite a lot of playing.. meh- dont forget, real servers are more busy then yours :wink:

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Uchiha Nick wrote: whew- never tried that one out myself :P

that does allow for quite a lot of playing.. meh- dont forget, real servers are more busy then yours :wink:
Yep...so just in case someone does something that messes it up while we are updating, we will make sure we gets 2 full backup copies! :D

(just uploaded it to my local server a min ago...it is exactly like it was(the backup is a little old...so its not the same as it is...and I will be getting the files I modified before from our real server now) :mrgreen: