Phpbb3 with or without these function if?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Rotsblok

Re: Phpbb3 with or without these function if?

Post by Rotsblok »

Cheater512 wrote:
Eelke wrote: All the joking aside,
What? Who wouldnt want a kitchen sink with running water in their forum? I personally couldnt live without it. :lol:

Kitchensink??? No way i need a beertap in it. And a coffemachine.

Dont you love when people actually read and search before they write :evil:
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

SamG

Post by SamG »

Eelke wrote: All the joking aside...
You're right, but it's only partly joking. It seems like the phpBB "vision" of an official stable core and a healthy MOD community is too often neglected. The emphasis is almost constantly on turnkey scenerios.

Paul referred to that as "feature envy," and no doubt he's partly right. I think other factors come into play, but that's neither here nor there. The point is, I fear that too many people think Olympus is phpBB finally coming to its senses and then they are disappointed when they discover that it still doesn't have the kitchen sink.

Recent comments and extended discussions right here, where comparisons of Olympus are made to IPB and vB based on the feature set alone, serve only to feed my fear. The stable core concept is all but lost at the community level.

Dissertation over. Carry on.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Very fair point, although this is the first time this has been made so explicit to me. All I ever hear is, it's not deemed appropriate to include in the core code/not enough people will use it, wait for someone to mod it in. Which is fair, but would gain in strength when the motivation for this attitude is made more clear (i.e., rock solid, stable core functionality that can be modded - not hacked - to your heart's content).

SamG

Post by SamG »

I agree. Or, if the vision has changed and phpBB out of the box is intended to face off with IPB and vB feature for feature, then that would need to be made clear. One way or another, I think we're not all on the same page anymore.