[Merged] 17th of April ? / So... where's the Beta?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
msibm

[Merged] 17th of April ? / So... where's the Beta?

Post by msibm »

SHS` wrote: Right, we've released phpBB2.0.20, though not quite phpBB3 Beta1...

Since a lot of your are patiently waiting for furry goodness, anybody that pre-orders a Bertie Bear before the end of the 16th of April (just 6 days away!), you'll start having your order sent out on the 17th! Why am I doing this? Just another little "thank you" for bearing with us yet again.

Anway, Olympus Bertie Bear looks like he'll be getting about a bit before he goes back to conquering Olympus!

wingnut144

Re: 17th of April ?

Post by wingnut144 »

So.....you're questioning the shipment/delivery date of the bear then? :?:

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I think he's speculating about the significance of that date. Why until that date? Could it be the internally planned date for beta release? Is this site really run by aliens from a secret military facility about 90 miles north of Las Vegas? ;)

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

It's more a logistics issue, it's rather difficult for a single person (me) to send out even an upper bound of 30 parcels per day, let alone a couple hundred. Not to mention my local post office isn't the largest thing in the world. ;)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Not to mention that british mail is shaky financially already. That much work could bankrupt them. ;)

I can't wait to get my bertie.

On a related note, isn't Monday the 17th of April Easter Monday, and, therefore, a Bank Holiday, meaning that the post office won't be open, along with, I presume, most if not all other delivery services, meaning that you'll be hard pressed to send them out on the 17th. :?

I hate to bring bad news, but, it just occured to me, and, I thought I should bring it up incase you hadn't thought of it. I do hope you have some way of sending them, since I really want mine to arrive as soon as possible.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

lol, these bears are not exactly small either, can you imagine the space they are taking up, he probably wants rid of them as quickly as possible

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

karlsemple wrote: lol, these bears are not exactly small either, can you imagine the space they are taking up, he probably wants rid of them as quickly as possible
Who wouldnt love 200 Berties stuffed in to a room? :lol:

I'd have to pinch myself if the beta was released on the 17th. Pinch myself really hard. ;)

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

karlsemple wrote: lol, these bears are not exactly small either
How big are they, anyway? I planned to order one yesterday, but was actually put off by the price :oops: (Not that I think they are overpriced, just had second thoughts about spending 30 dollars on what is essentially a non-essential wannahave).

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

28cm or 11" when seated and 42cm or 16.5" standing.

Its worth it. :)

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

karlsemple wrote: lol, these bears are not exactly small either, can you imagine the space they are taking up, he probably wants rid of them as quickly as possible
As I've said elsewhere, it's 4 boxes each 1m x 0.75m x 0.5m (3ft x 2ft x 1.5ft). Packed into parcels for sending out, they take up about 4x that space again...
Cheater512 wrote: Who wouldnt love 200 Berties stuffed in to a room? :lol:
... until they start fighting with each other...
Eelke wrote: How big are they, anyway? I planned to order one yesterday, but was actually put off by the price :oops: (Not that I think they are overpriced, just had second thoughts about spending 30 dollars on what is essentially a non-essential wannahave).
As per the FAQ:
Bertie FACK! wrote: Q: What size are they?
A: These bears are 28cm (11") tall when seated and 42cm (16.5") in full.
Here's 1st edition Bertie compared to my laptop: http://lambcutlet.org/gallery/Vancouver ... _in_Hawaii" target="_blank

If you have got one and changed you mind, I have no qualms in doing a refund, though the place in the pre-order queue would obviously be lost should you change you mind yet again. ;)

I know Bertie isn't the cheapest Bear, though places like Walmart have this thing called "economies of scale", as they order literally hundreds of thousands of the same thing (no Bertie Bear alas, as he's special :P). Having said that, Bertie costs less than 10 Big Macs. ;)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way