Tabbed forumindex

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
EXreaction

Re: Tabbed forumindex

Post by EXreaction »

Thats pretty cool...

(here is a link for you lazy guys)
http://www.bokt.nl/forums/index.php?sid=" target="_blank

BartVB
Trapped inside rank factory, send help!

Post by BartVB »

Implemented this with some copy/paste work on april fools day. It's a part of the long planned overhaul of our forum structure. We went from approx 50 forums to approx 80 to cope with the increased amount of users/posts. We still had almost exactly the same forum structure that we had when we has 15k posts/day. At the moment we're between 25 and 30.000 posts/day so some changes were needed. A forum index with 80 forums just isn't workable, it's bad for your scrollwheel we figured tabs would be nice.

It doesn't use something AJAXi because of BC, because that would (probably) be harder on the server and because this gives a better user experience. It was also easier to implement :) I might switch it to AJAX after I've done some benchmarking.

And indeed, this is not a planned feature of Olympus. Besides that, tabs would suck on boards that have a more decent amount of forums.
I Hate oversized sigs and Love Penguins :D

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

Bart, I've wondered why you are "BartVB" as that somewhat implies vBulletin since this is a forum dev. board and vBulletin is probably the largest "rival" of phpBB.... so, why VB? what's the skinny?

who_cares

Post by who_cares »

NNO-Stephen wrote: Bart, I've wondered why you are "BartVB" as that somewhat implies vBulletin since this is a forum dev. board and vBulletin is probably the largest "rival" of phpBB.... so, why VB? what's the skinny?
I believe it has to do with his initials

SamG

Post by SamG »

Bart van Bragt

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

makes sense :)

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

i often wondered :lol:

xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

What is that forum for, bart? Just wondering....

dhn

Post by dhn »

xdarkday wrote: What is that forum for, bart? Just wondering....
Dutch world domination ... on horses! Think about this, with the rising gas prices, no one is going to be able to afford driving a car or even a tank. Genius.

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

WOW! Nice job on the tabs! That's amazing. If you didn't use AJAX, what did you use? Because they does look faster than ajax. Is it just simple javascript and everything is loaded on the load of the index?

And yeah, taht would be a COOL mod if you want to make it one, bart! :D lol nice job!