When will phpbb3 mods be released?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
yautja_cetanu

When will phpbb3 mods be released?

Post by yautja_cetanu »

I know it depends on the mod authors.

But If anyone can remember what happened last time there was a major release. What is a rough ETA for people to new versions of their mods out? Is it like a year? Or a few months? Or do people work on their mods during the beta so we'll see some of them out when phpbb3 is released?

This is a general question though Ezportal and Easymod are the more important mods to me.

(I'm guessing large mods such as the profile contorl panel will take a while before they are ported to phpbb3?)

EDIT:

Just another quick question. Olympus seems so much faster. Is that just because of the server it is hosted on? Or the caching system? Or something else?

Eelke

Re: When will phpbb3 mods be released?

Post by Eelke »

You're answering your own questions :) Mod-authors are going to have access to the beta releases too, so Im sure many wil start working on ports when it comes out. Others may not bother at all because they do not plan to upgrade to phpBB3 themselves. If you have specific mods in mind, maybe you need to ask their authors, because of course it can be wildly different between specific mods.

I think the whole modding phenomenon came into being during the lifetime of phpBB2. I'm not sure, but I don't think the modding scene was so big with phpBB 1.x. So in that sense, I think this is a first.

yautja_cetanu

Post by yautja_cetanu »

You're answering your own questions Smile
Oh o.k :P

Then I suppose the question which I don't know the answer to is: How easy is it to port a fairly simple mod over to phpbb3? Will it require a complete rewrite? Or just an update?

dhn

Post by dhn »

yautja_cetanu wrote: Just another quick question. Olympus seems so much faster. Is that just because of the server it is hosted on? Or the caching system? Or something else?
Code optimisations in all board section means hardly any code left from 2.0.x, higher PHP version requirements leads to less backward compatibility hacking, caching of almost everything, testing on a live board for a few years now leads to easy and quick discovery of performance bottlenecks, and so forth. And take into consideration that 2.0 isn't even THAT bad considering its age and some of the forums still running on it.

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

thats like getting rid of your mini and replacing it with an F1 car, and then asking if it faster :lol:
Last edited by karlsemple on Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

karlsemple wrote: thats like getting rid of your mini and replacing it with an F1 can, and then asking if it faster :lol:
Hehe.. Funny comment there Karlio..

Personally I have a few mods in the works that are 3.x only and will be unleashed once there is an appropriate place for them, which i suppose will be at the Teams disgression..

Yawnster

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

No matter how fancy your can, it sure as hack isn't gonna beat my Mini :)

yautja_cetanu

Post by yautja_cetanu »

o.k now the question people are going to hate :P But I'm gonna ask it!

How long is a beta likely to go on for? For some games I've seen betas last about a year (I don't think I've seen betas go on for longer then a year, unless the betas can be used in a live environment. This is for games loads more complex then a board like this... but then with huge full-time development teams?

So what do you reckon? a year? 6 months? a month?

Really looking forward to seeing those phpbb3 only mods! Looking through a CVS it looks like its going to be great...

wGEric

Post by wGEric »

We probably won't be officially be supporting MODs until 3.0 goes gold. Supporting meaning allowing them in the MOD Database and having a development forum.
Eric

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

yautja_cetanu wrote: (I'm guessing large mods such as the profile contorl panel will take a while before they are ported to phpbb3?)
Some large mods may never be inquired to be ported such like profile control panel, subforums, super moderator, custom profile fields, and etc because Olympus already has them in stock.
hmm....