Release

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Alexander the Great

Re: Release

Post by Alexander the Great »

Daedalus. wrote: As far as I can see Vista is going to be a beautiful, but still piece of crap. I would not upgrade to it.

And is Olympus actually behind ipb and vb? I'm talking about functionality.
Im not sure whether you can say whether it is behind or not; I'd just say its different.

It's like saying whether or not the Nintendo Revolution is behind in functionality of the Xbox 360 or PS3, its just a different thing thats hard to really compare.

MacForum

Post by MacForum »

I highly doubt Windows Vista is a step forward in tech.

I've always thought of Olympus to be more like Mac OS X, good looking and
user friendly, but with a powerful base system inside it.

Long live Mac OS X, and Olympus!
Like Macs or just want to see Olympus Live? ;)
www.macgig.com

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

mac isnt great

vista sucks. just watch the hardware requirements :( the thing thats more sucky : no more winXP updates :(

Linux... emulate win for programs :)

WBHoenig

Post by WBHoenig »

Mac... Ewww!

Windows Vista... Can't Wait

Linux... Nice, esp. for servers, but not for me.

Olypmus... Also can't wait

TrevorB

Post by TrevorB »

Uchiha Nick wrote: vista sucks. just watch the hardware requirements :( the thing thats more sucky : no more winXP updates :(
I believe that XP will be still used for a long time. Unless Microsoft can get everyone to upgrade once again, they are going to have a huge user base in XP.

I can't wait for Olympus to hit an RC!

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

of course it will be used, since people cant upgrade. ( most )

at LEAST 512 MB RAM, i for one know a lot of people that dont have that.

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

With all the recent dev activity and CVS commits, announcements, and Bug Tracker activity, one can surmise that the BETA is so close that we can smell and almost taste it.

Opening the Olympus Bug Tracker "early" helps the convergence to Olympus BETA testing IMO and a smart move to help expedite and streamline the dev process to make the BETA "cleaner" and the "feature list" a little more clear. Watching the commits and Bug Tracker activity, one gets the feeling that the convergence to BETA is very short term indeed.

Olympus is and will be "big" IMO just like Olympus Mons is out of this world...

** plus Vista will be better than XP IMO based on the Community Technology Previews we have installed, but XP has a good installed base. Vista will likely ship on most new systems after it is released and gain quickly... **

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

cyberCrank wrote: Watching the commits and Bug Tracker activity, one gets the feeling that the convergence to BETA is very short term indeed.
Wasn't there something about april 1st? Can't quite remember, but either phpBB2 wento to beta on that date or it was released. It wouldn't surprise me if they were steering for an april 1st beta release.

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

cyberCrank wrote: With all the recent dev activity and CVS commits, announcements, and Bug Tracker activity, one can surmise that the BETA is so close that we can smell and almost taste it.
If the Devs would say in 3 days, I would expect it around Christmas
...but there were hints saying "weeks", so 2008 seems realistic :mrgreen:

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

JustMe wrote:
cyberCrank wrote: With all the recent dev activity and CVS commits, announcements, and Bug Tracker activity, one can surmise that the BETA is so close that we can smell and almost taste it.
If the Devs would say in 3 days, I would expect it around Christmas
...but there were hints saying "weeks", so 2008 seems realistic :mrgreen:

8O you really want it that early damn they better get a shift on then. Seriously though the Devs are not going to give you a clue as to when anything even the beta is going to happen...... it will be however long it takes them to do it.