Olympus Beta upgrade to Olympus Final?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
stickman10

Olympus Beta upgrade to Olympus Final?

Post by stickman10 »

I would like to test Olympus Beta when it comes out, but I would only like to test it if I could upgrade the Beta version to the Final version? Basically my question is, is there going to be an upgrade script from Olympus Beta to a newer version of Olympus?

Thanks

MoRpHiNe

Re: Olympus Beta upgrade to Olympus Final?

Post by MoRpHiNe »

I would think it would be the same as it is now, You can run the update script and update from the Beta version....
My Links: Webmaster-Support | Mutant-Designs | My Blog
Maximum Host - Free phpBB Hosting + More!

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

The beta is unsupported.

While the database in theory should stay the same if it changes they wont make a upgrade from the beta to the final.
Only from phpBB 2.0.x to phpBB 3.

stickman10

Post by stickman10 »

I wouldnt mind making a few database changes if thats all that is required from a Beta version to a Final version, but would there be some place telling you what changes were made?

dhn

Post by dhn »

stickman10 wrote: I wouldnt mind making a few database changes if thats all that is required from a Beta version to a Final version, but would there be some place telling you what changes were made?
Hint: CVS.

Graham

Post by Graham »

The short answer is that there should be an upgrade path from the release candidates to the final release. There may be one from the beta releases, but I'm not going to guarantee one since it will depend on a number of factors.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

soooo, in a nutshell, don't count on it. if one is for some reason made available, +1 for you, but if not, don't come crying about it cause you won't get any sympathy :)

SHOwned

Post by SHOwned »

So, in essence, *pretty much* all the major database changes are done and the *pretty much* all the changes made from here on out are in the files themselves, meaning all you would have to do is make sure your config.php or whatever is backed up, then just run the CVS update to get everything from one beta version to a newer one?

I know there is no "support" as of yet and you guys probably can't give any concrete answers yet since you don't know for sure, but is that *pretty much* how things are changing? (ie. mostly files themselves which can be updated via CVS and not as much the database?)

Thanks if anyone knows the answers.
-SHO

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

I'm not sure to what degree anyone is sure of that... I believe there were large-scale DB changes between phpBB2 Beta 1 and 2, which were presumably not anticipated.

Silkrooster

Post by Silkrooster »

Maybe I am overlooking something, but why would you want an upgrade path from a beta to the final? The beta should not really be used on a live site due to the bugs.(where did that flyswatter go :lol: )
Why not just remove it and install the final version.
Silk