The new phpBB version - Guess the Release Date Competition

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
jwxie

Re: The new phpBB version - Guess the Release Date Competit

Post by jwxie »

wo....
It's too crazy if phpBB3.x release in 2009...., or even 2008

just say this... between the summber of2006 and the spring of 2007
But I would rather to expect the date is "between August and Setpemeber...."

HalfBrian

Post by HalfBrian »

I guessed March 10th, 2006.

I mean... why else would the site be down so long?

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

Newfy wrote: <snip>I reckon a pre-Alpha version should be ready by Summer 2006. The Alpha should come on Fall 2006, the pre-Beta should show up on Jan 2007, the Beta should come on Summer 2007, The first Release Candidate should come 2008, several more RCs throughout 2008, then the final product by 2009 or 2010.
Not too far off from what I'm guessing - I'd say the pre-Alpha version should be ready by Summer 2006. The Alpha may come in late Summer 2006 or early Fall 2006, and the pre-Beta should show up in late 2006/early 2007. The Beta will come in Spring 2007, and the first Release Candidate will come about late Spring or early Summer 2007, followed by more RCs some time during 2007. Then the final product will be released by the end of 2007. So all told, there will be about 1 1/2 to 2 more years until phpBB 3.0 will be done.

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

HalfBrian wrote: I guessed March 10th, 2006.

I mean... why else would the site be down so long?
Because they're doing a rebuild of the system hardware and also transporting it to a new location. They also have a new hosting provider. Development of phpBB 3.0 is still continuing, and commits to the CVS are still taking place: http://area51.phpbb.com/statcvs/" target="_blank

niksa

Post by niksa »

We could just guess the year instead of the day. :lol: :roll:

GalaxeY

Post by GalaxeY »

Yea. And I guess in 2007. or early 2008.
Yea! I'm good. What version of phpBB was this again?!

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

rivaldo wrote: Not too far off from what I'm guessing - I'd say the pre-Alpha version should be ready by Summer 2006. The Alpha may come in late Summer 2006 or early Fall 2006, and the pre-Beta should show up in late 2006/early 2007. The Beta will come in Spring 2007, and the first Release Candidate will come about late Spring or early Summer 2007, followed by more RCs some time during 2007. Then the final product will be released by the end of 2007. So all told, there will be about 1 1/2 to 2 more years until phpBB 3.0 will be done.
November 30, 2007.

twiglet

Post by twiglet »

i dont know if this is relevant or not or has anything to do with anything u guys talk about but.....

a few of the Free php forum hosts such as ForumUp, phpbbserver.com, and forumer have been getting excited over the last couple of weeks telling the people that signed up for a free forum that in mid-april they will be converting all their 2.019 version boards on their servers to Olympus development versions with all the new features such as sub forums etc, in preparation for a expected mid-to-late 2006 release of the full version. They are apparently wanting to break in the people that have taken out free board memberships the chance to break in the new features and development as it stands now so that it gets (from several hundred thousand free boards) a lot of feedback and bug reporting before the full release is made available.

Could this free forum switch from 2.19 to olympus development version be the final Beta testing for all the features, high traffic demands before full launch? It seems a couple of Admins on php free forums seem to hint that way when asked.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

It has always been maintained that the free phpBB forums are not only not associated with the phpBB team, but in most cases not approved of.

If the free sites are switching, I sincerly doubt that it has anything to do with the actual plans of the dev team. It's more likely that one site decided to switch, to get ahead of the competition, and the rest decided to follow, so that they didn't get left behind.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

twiglet wrote: a few of the Free php forum hosts such as ForumUp, phpbbserver.com, and forumer have been getting excited over the last couple of weeks telling the people that signed up for a free forum that in mid-april they will be converting all their 2.019 version boards on their servers to Olympus development versions with all the new features such as sub forums etc, in preparation for a expected mid-to-late 2006 release of the full version. They are apparently wanting to break in the people that have taken out free board memberships the chance to break in the new features and development as it stands now so that it gets (from several hundred thousand free boards) a lot of feedback and bug reporting before the full release is made available.
From CVS activity it's pretty obvious the development tree's code is ripening though your guestimate release date may be spot on or miles off. Running phpBB CVS code (completely unsupported and depends fundimentally on how much of a clue the server admin has as to how smoothly it runs) is nothing new, since one of the largest phpBB's on the Internet has been running phpBB3 CVS code for nearly a year. Area51 itself had a little workout recently with the transfer of the main site's server from the old datacentre to the new one at OSUOSL.
twiglet wrote: Could this free forum switch from 2.19 to olympus development version be the final Beta testing for all the features, high traffic demands before full launch? It seems a couple of Admins on php free forums seem to hint that way when asked.
Bug-quashing of Beta/RC versions of phpBB3 will involve the whole community that wants to get their hands dirty. Though one thing...

Please, please, please get the version number right! It's: 2.0.19 for the current stable phpBB2. Not 2.019 or 2.19 or whatever...

Just as $1,001.09 is not the same as $1,001.9 or $1109...
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way