eAZY MOD

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
dcz

eAZY MOD

Post by dcz »

Hello,

I was thinking one thing about eazy mod and its side effects.

I see that many people use it without knowing nothing about coding and get finnally stuck when they installed too many mods (some line to find does not exist any more).

So as I think this mod is really great, but a bit risky as it's opérating online, I think it would be really interesting to make a local version of it, that could be used to assist manual editing more than doing it itself.

The used engine could be used to built a régular app that could open one file after the other and suggest the changes to make to the user while he could actually view the code. This way would be even a better way to teach things, as noobs would be able to edit manually with ease and would get a chance to understand something sometime.

We could also imagine that EM local could do a batch sort of thing (eg edit a list of files without showing anything).

You could say it is already doing it, but even better as it is doing it online, I personnaly would prefer to be able to edit localy and then to ul files (so that you can make sure you backuped everything), and if it is so close to do what I am telling, then why not making it doing it !

I love EM, but I just think that it's a big risk to do too much on line without viewing anything. As too many mods kills mods, EM could be the number one phpbb killer as it give the illusion everything is doable without any effort, which is just almost true, at least until the fatal mod is tryed.

Plus, this could be a super tool to edit many files when building up a personalised phpbb script, as most of the time EM does it so well, but with the possibility to maintain human intellgience at the upper level of decision.

So obviously, this is not something I could do myself, but I am sure that an EM local assisted editor would be really great, secure, and would increase general php understanding of phpbb users (as they could actually see the code changes being made without having to do them manually).

++
ChALkeR

Re: eAZY MOD

Post by ChALkeR »

Install local server and test all mods on it, like all people do.
This is better independently of how you install your mods, with EM or by hands.
But EM is a lot faster =).

I dont have an EM version on the main forum. I install everything with EM on the local test forum, that is a copy of the main forum and then just upload.
Sorry for my bad English....
dcz

Post by dcz »

Well yes, We could do like this, but still, a stand alone version would be a lot more powerfull to handle modded boards.
I really think that the ability to edit files mannualy while being assisted by EM suggestions would be very usefull.

For sure, I know that EM is already very usefull, but I tend to edit all manualluy just to be aware of what I am doing, and this kind of assistance would just allow people like me who whant to be the last to decide while adding mods to go a lot faster while modding (as a lot of time mod needs minor changes to be operational on modded boards, the code just cannot be apllyed as is).

My suggestion is just a way to go further in modding assistance. And I think that EM is already very powerfull to find code and edit multiple files, so why not letting all of this code used by people that just cannot use EM otherwise (on modded boards of course).

Any way, thanks you all dear phpbb coders, phpbb is even more than a great board, it's a gate to php for a lot of people, and what I am suggesting would help a lot people who wants to go further in developping as they could track changes being made easyer and faster and learn out more about coding.

++
Nux

Post by Nux »

I tend to change files by myself too... That's mostly because I've made some changes by myself and can't tell how will new changes affect my board...

I agree that EM could be more of assistants e.g. instead of just shouting ERROR it could give some options like - edit on your own or something like that.

Anyway, for now, you can use the preview to find out what and how to change. It should be helpful in most cases.
dcz

Post by dcz »

Yop,

but this is not like a hot issue it seems :)

Are we the only two to think this would be great ?

++
niksa

Post by niksa »

Yeah, most of the "errors" EM reports are really really easy to solve but most people just say, "Oh snap, I can't install it!" and they give up. :? If EM had some kind of information about fixing that error, then it would be truly fantastic... but that would be so, so much work for the EM team to do!