1000 to 1,000

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
markus_petrux

Re: 1000 to 1,000

Post by markus_petrux »

Oh, I'm not in the phpBB development team, so I can't really say, if/when/how it will be implemented in Olympus.

OTH, I don't think it may cause any significant performance penalty.

Limit-Studios

Post by Limit-Studios »

k thanxs. I don't really mind if its not in phpBB3 as it is easy enough to add myself.

Vixion

Post by Vixion »

I agree with some people in this topic. 1,000 looks better then 1000, especially when users have a huge post count (i.e. 8599 or 14720).

In phpBB2 it can be changed by just changing one line in viewtopic.php

Code: Select all

$poster_posts = ( $postrow[$i]['user_id'] != ANONYMOUS ) ? $lang['Posts'] . '&#58 ' . $postrow[$i]['user_posts'] &#58 ''; 
to

Code: Select all

$poster_posts = ( $postrow[$i]['user_id'] != ANONYMOUS ) ? $lang['Posts'] . '&#58 ' . number_format($postrow[$i]['user_posts'], 0, ' ', ',') &#58 ''; 
Effective and no hard work... but it's confusing for other countries then the US, the UK and other English speaking countries.

The US/UK are using a ' , ' to do it... i.e. 1,000
But on the European Mainland we are using i.e. 1.000 (1,000 wil make 1)

It's a cool feature, and very nice for uses that have an larger post count, but it;s easiest when you can determine how it would be displayed in the ACP, just like the language and time-zone.

If I could vote, I would vote YES to add this.

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

I'd say it should DEFINITELY be added... to each language pack. for English it should have a coma just for usability, when you get to 8584654167 or some other arbitrary number exceeding four digits, it helps straighten things out and keep them organized. I figure Olympus would be a good time to integrate this as they've apparently spent some time working on usability (as is evidenced by the recent changes, esp. concerning fonts and lines and the like.)

but yeah, +1 for adding it to the lang. packs.

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

I've seen some software that has in the ACP "Number Format" and it has the option of no separation, "," and "." as is used in the US, and other such formats. I think that would be a good idea. But as 3.0 is feature frozen, they won't be adding it anyways... *sigH*

dhn

Post by dhn »

Aldenhier wrote: I've seen some software that has in the ACP "Number Format" and it has the option of no separation, "," and "." as is used in the US, and other such formats. I think that would be a good idea. But as 3.0 is feature frozen, they won't be adding it anyways... *sigH*
There is always 3.2 to look forward to.

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

dhn wrote:
Aldenhier wrote: I've seen some software that has in the ACP "Number Format" and it has the option of no separation, "," and "." as is used in the US, and other such formats. I think that would be a good idea. But as 3.0 is feature frozen, they won't be adding it anyways... *sigH*
A MOD will probably come out ages before another major rev of phpBB does. Given that 2.2 (a.k.a. 3) has taken over 3 years to develop so far...

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

rivaldo wrote:
dhn wrote:
A MOD will probably come out ages before another major rev of phpBB does. Given that 2.2 (a.k.a. 3) has taken over 3 years to develop so far...
i wouldnt quite say that, 3.x is a major rewrite, where major sections of exisiting code is being improved.. whereas 3.2 will be just feature additions.. As for the number formatting i dont believe its really nessicary to have it, but i think it would make a useful little addition as i do find it easier to read the larger numbers with a correctly formatted number..

Yawnster