would anyone happen to be a WinCVS expert?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
SHOwned

would anyone happen to be a WinCVS expert?

Post by SHOwned »

Well, this is the chit chat forum so I guess I can ask just about any appropriate question eh?

Anyway, this may be a touchy topic since this site uses a CVW repository and there is the no support rule and such, but this is more of a generalized CVS question that is unrelated, and I can't see how this would hurt anything. Oh well, here goes:

In WinCVS, what exactly does this mean?
TCL or Python are not available, shell is disabled

Sphen

Re: would anyone happen to be a WinCVS expert?

Post by Sphen »

It means that it can't find the TCL or Python libraries on your computer, so you can't use the Shell functions of WinCVS. Shell is an alternate (more secure) way to connect remotely to other computers (among other uses).

If you just want to checkout CVS modules, you don't need those modules

Sphen
I think, therefore I am, I think...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.
Site - Blog

SHOwned

Post by SHOwned »

Sphen wrote: It means that it can't find the TCL or Python libraries on your computer, so you can't use the Shell functions of WinCVS. Shell is an alternate (more secure) way to connect remotely to other computers (among other uses).

If you just want to checkout CVS modules, you don't need those modules

Sphen
Ah thanks, I was just curious as to what they were and figured this might be a place where people would be experienced with CVS. Thanks again and have a good one. 8) 8)

markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

TCL or Python libraries may allow you write/use macros to automate CVS commands, etc. I installed them (available from the WinCVS site) just to avoid the message, but I have never used/needed any macro.

It has nothing to do with "Shell functions". To use that, you need a SSH client such as PuTTY, if you're running Windows.