Using EasyMod with PNphpBB

Want to share what MODs you've gotten to work with EM? Happy about all the time your're saving? Want to say "thanks"? Here's the place.
Forum rules
DO NOT give out any FTP passwords to anyone! There is no reason to do so! If you need help badly enough, create a temporary FTP account that is restricted to only the files that you need help with and give the information for that. Giving out FTP information can be very dangerous!
Drek

Using EasyMod with PNphpBB

Post by Drek »

PNphpBB is based on phpBB with, as far as I know, a few mods thrown in, and mods made to allow it to work with PostNuke. I'm wondering if it is possible to use EasyMod with PNphpBB, or if it isn't straight out of the box, how difficult would it be to mod EasyMod so it could be used with PNphpBB.

I guess I'm going to back up my database and files, and see if I can get it to work, but if anybody has any useful input, I'd love to have it. :)
Windows XP Professional SP2
Apache 2.0.54
PHP 5.0.4
MySQL 4.1.13a

markus_petrux

Re: Using EasyMod with PNphpBB

Post by markus_petrux »

IIRC, PNphpBB is not supported.

sirex

Post by sirex »

do you know when this will be supported ?

seems a bit pointless having easymod if it wont work on postnuke sites.

markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

There will be no official support for that, I'm afraid.

nukes use a port of phpBB that doesn't use the same directory scheme, which is the problem. I mean, it is their fault if they broke something in the middle... where would we go if we start to fix everyone elses bugs/implementations problems?

sirex

Post by sirex »

well. in much the same way as its your job to make easymod work on phpbb, likewise with pnphpbb. easymod is a utility of phpbb, not visa versa.

however, it would be good if pnphpbb dev's approached you too, because pnphpbb integration is a major thing, and easymod needs to be in there somewhere. otherwise it'll just get cloned, and noone likes to renivent the wheel.

Drek

Post by Drek »

It should be noted that no one's getting paid for anything here, so it isn't anyone's job to do anything. If they want to, terrific, if not maybe someone else will do it, if not, we'll all just have to do the best we can without.

Since I posted this thread however long ago it was, I have had alot of experience modding phpBB both for PostNuke and PHP-Nuke, and I can tell you from experience that you are probably better off not to use EasyMod anyway. Alot of the mods that you might want to use with your Nuked phpBB are written for vanilla phpBB and getting them to work with Nuked versions will require some hacking. While something like EasyMod might be nice, you're better off to back up your files and do it manually, so you know exactly what is being changed, and hopefully be in a position to fix any problems that arise. You also are likely to learn alot more, which is a nice bonus...
Windows XP Professional SP2
Apache 2.0.54
PHP 5.0.4
MySQL 4.1.13a

sirex

Post by sirex »

by "job" i didnt mean duty....

however, is there no other way of achiving integration without kludging the phpbb installation ? and if not, why not ?

Nux

Post by Nux »

EM is not a standalone application (script), it uses some of the files supplied with phpBB. Therefore to use it elsewhere you would have to fix all paths an incompatibiliy issuses...

And in general - phpBB dosen't support anything more then phpBB (AFAIK). EM is a MOD for phpBB

markus_petrux wrote: where would we go if we start to fix everyone elses bugs/implementations problems?
We would become HTML browsers ;).

sirex

Post by sirex »

granted. theres only really 2 types of install though, stand alone and integrated.

would it not be a good idea to start looking towards expanding out to cover the other type of installation ? -- im sure many, many people would appriciate it.

youd have to link to phpbb admin interface like you already do, as pnphpbb2 just wraps this. there'd be a fair amount of work on the paths and taking them out to an abstracted level where supporting both types of install would be possible, but isn't this a good thing for the community ?

markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

You're knocking the wrong door. All these problems are caused by the way phpBB was ported to nuke. There are other solutions out there that do not. The choice is yours.