stable enough?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
akurashy

stable enough?

Post by akurashy »

i don't like to much phpBB2 , but phpBB3 looks promising (VERY promising) so i'm wondering if this is ready to use (at my own risk of course) to a community im going to do (that possibly going to get heavy with members) (related to linux games and other things)

APTX

Re: stable enough?

Post by APTX »

If it's at your own risk... if you're using it it means it's stable enough for you.
You should just know that the risk is high.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

And please be clear that there is zero support -- even from other community members -- provided here.

Beta doesn't seem to be that far off, with the Permissions module being the biggest piece that is currently unavailable (other stuff is also missing/unfinished, but the lack of a Permissions page really cramps things). If you're going to use phpBB, it may be best to wait for at least the first beta.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

Its stable enough for simple things, such as posting and the like. However, you'll find that things don't work yet. Basically you'll need to know a decent amount of PHP, and know your RDBMS enough to do some SQL of which might be missing from the admin pannel.

Also, you'll want to keep up to date with checkins, however that comes at the risk of a checkin breaking your board.

As stated above as well, there's no support for the CVS versions, so if you hit a problem you'll either have to fix it your self, or hope that a CVS checkin fixes it for you.

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

code reader

Post by code reader »

neo, your understanding of the word "stable" is highly unorthodox.
the short and long answer to the original question is: phpbb 3 is not "ready to use" or "stable" using any reasonable definition of these terms.

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

code reader wrote: neo, your understanding of the word "stable" is highly unorthodox.
the short and long answer to the original question is: phpbb 3 is not "ready to use" or "stable" using any reasonable definition of these terms.

No, I beleive that my understanding of the word stable is as per this:
Consistently dependable; steadfast of purpose.
The prupose of a system as such is for posting, of which the functions for that are very much stable. You do not get a plethora of errors when trying to do simple post related functions. You can see that for youself on this board here. (Which, I'll remind you, is actually running slightly a older CVS copy)

Sure, in terms of the code that provides the ability of the forum, its not stable, since the code can change at the drop of a hat (or in our case, a CVS commit, which may or may not need a hat to finish), however, if I had the time to keep up with CVS commits, I wouldn't hesistate to convert my 2.0.x forum to 3.0's CVS copy.

You, on the other hand, might not, but the main point here is that for the basic purpose of a forum system, the CVS is stable enough to allow that to happen. The rest is up to your skill in keeping check with the CVS and your ability to work in the database if need be.

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Actually, I'm eagerly awaiting the first beta to do test transitions on my forum. I may even convert live. We'll see, though, based on initial impressions.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

drock8705

Post by drock8705 »

In my usage of the CVS version, I have had no problems. Of course, I've only used it for 5 minutes. I trust the phpBB Team's judgement in saying that it's not best to use it for production use.

Also, I hate to stray off topic, but aren't you a developer of another board software, akurashy?

Silkrooster

Post by Silkrooster »

Martin Blank wrote: Actually, I'm eagerly awaiting the first beta to do test transitions on my forum. I may even convert live. We'll see, though, based on initial impressions.
I can't wait my self, but I'm questioning beta for live. As I am just learning php my self. So I can't afford to really have the board with a serious problem. Or appears to be serious. I think I'll have to wait even longer and just play with the beta in the background.
Silk

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

NeoThermic wrote: The prupose of a system as such is for posting, of which the functions for that are very much stable. You do not get a plethora of errors when trying to do simple post related functions. You can see that for youself on this board here. (Which, I'll remind you, is actually running slightly a older CVS copy)
I concur. ;) Not getting error messages does not mean it is stable... there are a lot of things not working as intended (for example drafts are not finished, attachments having bugs, polls not tested, js code for bbcodes not finished/incomplete, and so on...).