"easymod" for olympus ?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
ergo14

"easymod" for olympus ?

Post by ergo14 »

im curious ? what will the easymod equivalent work like in olympus ? will there be sthg incorporated by default ?

wGEric

Re: "easymod" for olympus ?

Post by wGEric »

There will be an EasyMOD version that works in Olympus. It won't be in Olympus by default though.
Eric

ergo14

Post by ergo14 »

there will be no other "easy" way to incorporate mods into forum ? why is that ? i wont have a problem myself with this but im just curious why it was decided not to include any automated mod inclusion system?

gLiTcH_

Post by gLiTcH_ »

ergo14 wrote: im just curious why it was decided not to include any automated mod inclusion system?
Maybe because it's not finished and more or less not faultproof? :D

Manual is the safest way I guess.
Last edited by gLiTcH_ on Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

Probably, bacause (sadly) it is not possible to warrantee that EasyMOD works on all environments officially supported by phpBB itself.

APTX

Post by APTX »

Having easymod as an add-on install is IMO a very good way to do it. If you need it - you install it; if not - you don't have to worry about it.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

ergo14 wrote: there will be no other "easy" way to incorporate mods into forum ? why is that ? i wont have a problem myself with this but im just curious why it was decided not to include any automated mod inclusion system?
Things should be easier than before, due to the inclusion of the modular ACP/MCP/UCP system. Modification of some core files will still be required, but it should be reduced somwhat.

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

As the number of mods increase for a site, then the EasyMod methodology becomes problematic and unreliable in its current form for 2.0.* when modding a heavily modded site.

The modularity and Style scheme of 3.0 surely help, but the architectural design and structure of maybe 4.0 (from the ground up) will have inherent support for a more robust, reliable, and secure method for implementing multiple mods (but not always easily done). This has been discussed in previous threads with related arguments for and against EasyMod methodology. The issue of providing phpBB as only a core forum package begs for modularity as many have argued and desire mods and an integrated site with features such as portals, etc.

Many love phpBB and want to use it, but they also love being able to modify and integrate it too, which also leads to performance, reliability, robustness, stability, and especially security concerns (which are also the reasons for the KIS principle, Keep It Simple, as much as possible).