You know how "It'll be done when it's done"... Wel

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SHS`

Re: You know how "It'll be done when it's done"...

Post by SHS` »

dhn wrote: SHS` is a liar.
dhn's (under)pants are on fire
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

APTX

Post by APTX »

Yes the developement is nearing it's end.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

Hmm, I suspect that we will go beta on the 1st of ... NO SIGNAL

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

Lost packets eh? Perfect timing! :mrgreen:
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d »

NeoThermic wrote: Hmm, I suspect that we will go beta on the 1st of ... NO SIGNAL

NeoThermic
January 2006!!!!!!!!!!

yayayay!!!

Glorius Hole

Post by Glorius Hole »

Ah good, false hope all round.

And erm, yea well, erm, as for what happened in the end...

Erm, well the short version for those not wanting to waste a minute reading; failure. But who didn't see that one coming eh? Long version: Four months down the line, Dave I think, kind of told a load of people on the irc chat channel who he thought were 'trusted individuals' about the whole release date being false hope and all that pantamalarcy... Turned out one of the users in the channel was a mod developer himself, he got the wrong end of the stick and went off onto the uef forums or something and made this huge post about the entire project being a fake (which it wasn't but unluckily for us, we hadn't actually put any screenshots on the website so, for all intents and purposes it could have been fake if the average joe went and had a look - he wouldn't find much to prove anything).

Gary got really *beep* off about this. I mean really *beep*. He went on loads of forums and newsgroups declaring war on pretty much everyone who even hinted the whole project was a fake... come to think of it he declared war on anyone who even spoke about the project, regardless of the criteria of the discussion. I in the mean time saw what was coming and got our web dev to remove my name from the team list, as did a friend of mine who was also in the same boat as me, but did even less work than I did. I think dave followed suit actually. Knowing him he probably went and hid in a cardboard box until it was all over.

Anyway the inevitable happened and the project collapsed...

Ah well. If we'd have actually finished the project in time, or if we'd just keep 'pushing back the release date due to unforseen circumstances', I dunno. It was going quite smoothly really but gaz being gaz, he had to take my little joke seriously. Not that it mattered for the rest of us. Thanks to his enflated ego and his short fuse he got all of us off the hook and shot himself in the foot when he went blasting off on the forums and channels. When it came to it, we all blamed him for everything even though it was technically my idea and overall dave's fault for blowing the gaf in the first place. So, the project disappeared, most of the people following it took it to their hearts that old gaz was the culprit and a lot of them still don't believe the project was real (it was, honest)... Still it's all but a distant memory now.

On the plus side, it made us all aware of one big factorama. Giving false hope is good provided you keep your mouth shut about it actually being false. Yep yep.

Natan

Post by Natan »

Funky Spoiler BBCode! Haven't seen it before :)
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Great story Glorius Hole, had a good laugh reading that :lol:
Natan wrote: Funky Spoiler BBCode! Haven't seen it before :)
Yeah, it's pretty cool. The best one I have seen though, is one where you hover over it to see the text. I believe all it was, was a little CSS :)
Customisations Team

Graham

Post by Graham »

BTW, that won't be included by default, it is purely us testing the custom BBCode functionality ;)
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d »

Graham wrote: BTW, that won't be included by default, it is purely us testing the custom BBCode functionality ;)
Even cooler! So we'll easily be able to add a tag like that?