Anyone else enjoy reading the commit logs?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
tiger2kn5

Re: Anyone else enjoy reading the commit logs?

Post by tiger2kn5 »

the theory of them having separte commits is not even a trivial idea. I mean we can't seriosly expect them to commit everytime they change one line, if they plan other things that are connected to that one line. I say its good that they have their own repository and only commit once they feel that something in good shape to share. ( by this i don't mean 100% stable, but stable enough to be used and tested ).

A good example of this isa commit by acydBurn, which included 12 new files for a total of 4866 lines of code, Obviosly he didn't write all those lines of code in one day, so he must of had it in his local respository. And he didn't feel that it was ready to be commited until now. And in reality the acp.php file (whic i assume is going to be called) is not commited yet so those commits aren't functional yet either, but his reasons for summiting it now was so no one goes and waste their time editing files in adm/ when that directory is not useful anymore, since all the admin functions are moved to the new module system.
it is practilcally impossible (not to mention inadvisable) to have significant ammounts on uncommited code when the nunmber of developers actualy justifies the use of the word "team".
Not necessarly, if you look at the pattern of the commits, its very clear (at least to me) that they are very well setup as to who does what.

for example; a great deal of grahamje's commits are for the MCP (Moderator control panel) and acydBurn's commits are mostly all ACP (Administrator control panel). So you can rest asure that at some point they got together and said, ok you work on this part, and ill work on this other one. So if anyone developer has some code that for some reason or other he doesn't want to commit now, then he will have the assurance that is not going to break the other's code if he doesn't, because their each working on separte parts to begin with.

Anon

Post by Anon »

If you don't mind a mini barrage of emails, then you can sign up for the commit digest. Contains the commits, changes and logs. I forget where to sign up, but someone else'll remember :mrgreen:

Code: Select all

:D|-<
:D/-<
:D\-<

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

The pages on sourceforge have:

mailling list for commits:
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=7885" target="_blank

subscribe page for above list:
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/list ... b-checkins" target="_blank

If you check the archives you will note that you can get quite a lot so only do it if you have a lot of storage for your email and either use a special email address or setup some kind of filter if you don't want your inbox filling up with commit logs

I personally haven't subscribed because I proberly wouldn't get round to reading all the email messages.

dhn

Post by dhn »

Yoda_IRC wrote: I personally haven't subscribed because I proberly wouldn't get round to reading all the email messages.
201 since September 14th.

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

Thing is find the funniest is Grahams Graph..

http://www.opentools.de/statcvs/author_grahamje.html" target="_blank

Goes into the minuses before its rectifyed.. Good Job Bud..

Yawnster

VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

Yawnster wrote: Thing is find the funniest is Grahams Graph..

http://www.opentools.de/statcvs/author_grahamje.html" target="_blank

Goes into the minuses before its rectifyed.. Good Job Bud..

Yawnster
Acyd recently lost a TON of lines because he nuked a bunch of files.

Then he checked in a ton of MCP stuff and that made it a nice and spiffy and better.
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

tiger2kn5

Post by tiger2kn5 »

Acyd recently lost a TON of lines because he nuked a bunch of files.

Then he checked in a ton of MCP stuff and that made it a nice and spiffy and better.
Yeah he's pretty much moving the stuff from the admin panel to the new admin control panel that he is building using the module system, So he will have up and down on his graph for a while until all the acp files are in.