do you use free ram applications?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
IP-Dope

do you use free ram applications?

Post by IP-Dope »

Do you have ram optimizers/free ram applications running on your computer(s), or do you rather reboot your computer? Why? Why not?

The reason I'm asking is because you hear lots of people saying completely different things these days. Person X says it's a great solution to free your RAM and thus optimize your computer performance, while person Y is trying to convince me to stay away from those programs and simply reboot my computer if it's slowing down because of high uptimes.

So please, share your thoughts with me. After all these contradictory stories I have no idea which ones to believe and ignore.

Cheers.

Martin Blank

Re: do you use free ram applications?

Post by Martin Blank »

RAM optimizers are of limited use. They often increase disk access, slowing your system if you overuse them. Generally, the RAM manager in Windows is sufficient. Check the applications you're running for excessive Handles, GDI Objects, and Threads.

Memory isn't the only resource to be concerned with.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

I reset about monthly (normally tied into windows update + driver updates). When you've got 1.5GB of RAM, there's little use in these freeram programs or the need to reset.

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

IP-Dope wrote: Do you have ram optimizers/free ram applications running on your computer(s), or do you rather reboot your computer?
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but surely Windows is able to monitor quite effectively how much memory a process needs and assign it how much it requires, and free this RAM once it has unloaded? I highly doubt there's any room for major improvement with a third party application.
Rob

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

Roberdin wrote:
IP-Dope wrote: Do you have ram optimizers/free ram applications running on your computer(s), or do you rather reboot your computer?
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but surely Windows is able to monitor quite effectively how much memory a process needs and assign it how much it requires, and free this RAM once it has unloaded? I highly doubt there's any room for major improvement with a third party application.

Most Free RAM applications work by forcing everything in the RAM over to the swap file.Window won't immedialty totally unload referenced DLL's from a program; this allows you to launch the same program a few mins later and it should load faster, because most of it is still sitting in your RAM.

However, if you pay for lots of RAM, then it being used isn't bad. The only time its bad is if you're trying to fit more in the RAM than free RAM you have, but if you're launching an application that needs that much RAM, you're going to be closing other open programs before hand :)

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

Nippoo

Post by Nippoo »

Roberdin wrote: Correct me if I'm mistaken, but surely Windows is able to monitor quite effectively how much memory a process needs and assign it how much it requires, and free this RAM once it has unloaded? I highly doubt there's any room for major improvement with a third party application.
That's what it should be able to do in theory. It doesn't. ;) Linux does, though.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Nippoo wrote:
Roberdin wrote: Correct me if I'm mistaken, but surely Windows is able to monitor quite effectively how much memory a process needs and assign it how much it requires, and free this RAM once it has unloaded? I highly doubt there's any room for major improvement with a third party application.
That's what it should be able to do in theory. It doesn't. ;) Linux does, though.
Ja. Case in point, there was a massive memory leak in Firefox, and it was using 131mb. I closed it, yet windows insisted on keeping it there, leaving only 180 or so free mb left :evil:

Code: Select all

:D|-<
:D/-<
:D\-<

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

I wouldn't use a free RAM application; I wouldn't want to increase the swapfile.

I'd get more RAM. :mrgreen:
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

They can't actually 'free up' RAM, as a program attempting to access a memory page which is in use by another program will result in big stylee crashes...
Not worth bothering with.