honestly..

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Galga

honestly..

Post by Galga »

i've been here for something like 2 years.
now that even pso that was the one which really did most of the code in the last 1 year or more, honestly did you really think phpbb3, olympus or whatever you wish to call it, will ever come out?

in these months i've seen a lot of great people starting to abandon this community, not only pso, even cyberalien, or AbelaJohnB, all people which really seemed to me the most active here.

Now nothing more, no uptades, no release dates, nothing. I'm really worried. phpbb is the best forum i've ever used (at least for the cp admin), and honestly it's been far too long to keep having hope.

now you finally decided to open different minor things to the community but it seems to me that there is no organization back, there is no eta, no info, no real coders, nothing that could let me hope for a rebirth of this project.

Is this truly the end of it? will it ever come out phpbb3? honestly it's been really too much time..

Yawnster

Re: honestly..

Post by Yawnster »

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... um_id=2657" target="_blank

All i have to say in answer to your accusations.. take a look at the code submitted by Miek and Graham this last month.. thousands of lines of it..

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Miek has been monthly leader for Lines of code every single month but one since March 2004, ie, the last year and a half.

As you can see, he has been doing a fair amount of the work recently. No matter how sad Paul's departure is, hopefully it will prove a breath of fresh air, rather than a setback. Paul near the end was getting very stressed out by the pressure and attempted backseat driving from the community, as well as more than likely very irritated by the unavoidable delays. Unfortunately, when something is causing you alot of stress, it is usually very hard to sit down and work on it. Especially since at the end he was more project managing than writing.

We can only hope that paul's departure will benefit the project as much as it hinders it. We now have Graham on the dev team, and, it seems that paul's departure is being counteracted by a wave of commits from the devs. The team, it seems, has moved up a gear because of this, so, it is looking like it may actually be a overall gain rather than loss.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

smitjel

Post by smitjel »

Galga wrote: now you finally decided to open different minor things to the community...
That's what I didn't understand. I had always thought that phpBB was an open source project that thousands of people contributed to. But the truth is that there's only a handful of people actually coding it?

With literally 100's of talented coders that write mods for phpBB2, why is phpBB3 development so meager?

Edit: Offtopic but I think there's a bug in the way the topic icons show whether or not you have posted in the topic....I'm not seeing the dot on the icon for this post. It should have the dot on it since I've posted in it, no? Hmm...Even doing a page refresh on the forum index still doesn't correct it...

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Galga wrote: i've been here for something like 2 years.
If you've really been here this long, then you've seen these kinds of discussions come up before, and you've seen where they lead.
honestly it's been far too long to keep having hope.
You're welcome to use something else at any point if you have no hope in the future of the project. No one is keeping you here. Even Meik will tell you this.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

who_cares

Post by who_cares »

Martin Blank wrote: i've been here for something like 2 years.
This is the kinda stuff that proTFX got tired of. I hope your banned
honestly it's been far too long to keep having hope.
Then what are you waiting for?

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Lastof wrote: The team, it seems, has moved up a gear because of this, so, it is looking like it may actually be a overall gain rather than loss.
Which is something I said would happen in my blog.
It is very sad that Paul left us, but rest assured the phpBB Team still has a few tricks left. We will not let this affect phpBB, and we will continue Paul’s tradition of moving phpBB forward. It hurt that Paul left, but what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger, right? I think you’ll see just that in the coming months - phpBB getting stronger.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

who_cares wrote:
Martin Blank wrote: i've been here for something like 2 years.
This is the kinda stuff that proTFX got tired of. I hope your banned
Erm... I didn't say that. I quoted it. I've been quite patient, watching the changes come in and experimenting with them on my own, not reporting glitches.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

smitjel wrote: That's what I didn't understand. I had always thought that phpBB was an open source project that thousands of people contributed to. But the truth is that there's only a handful of people actually coding it?

With literally 100's of talented coders that write mods for phpBB2, why is phpBB3 development so meager?
phpBB 2.0.x was coded by a few more guys that are not around any more, nate is gone, for example.

smitjel, the entire mod writting community had the chance to sign-up for the community projects. The turn out was very low, less than 20. "100's of talented coders" had the perfect chance to go and submit an application.

Open Source does not mean Open development.
Freedom from fear

mick

Post by mick »

Martin Blank wrote: If you've really been here this long, then you've seen these kinds of discussions come up before, and you've seen where they lead.

You're welcome to use something else at any point if you have no hope in the future of the project. No one is keeping you here. Even Meik will tell you this.
I too feel (from my POV, as a bystander and forum member for the past year) that the project has lost all sense of direction - surely the phpBB project could recuit even a couple of the numerous talented coders in the community. The time taken to get a new group of coders up to speed with phpBB's coding practices is certainly worth the effort, isn't it? (if only to silence the voices)

Sure, you can lock each topic that comes up asking when an RC will be out, but honestly, it seems rather unprofessional and futile to do so. From my POV (reading the forums occasionally) the phpBB seems to be nothing but stagnant, suffering the same fate as many other projects on Sourceforge.

I've been using phpBB for many years, and prefer it to other closed-source boards. I'd rather not abandon it for greener pastures, however from where I'm sitting right now, everything but phpBB looks promising.

A clear, concise response by someone in-the-know would be much appreciated, and I'm sure also by the many other supporters on this forum.

edit: after reading a few blogs, perhaps I was wrong about the numerous talented coders..

Michael