Just an Update

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
SamG

Re: Just an Update

Post by SamG »

RammsteinNicCage wrote: I'm wondering, how many of those that are going to stick with 2.0.x after 3.x is released are going to bother upgrading their 2.0.x's whenever there are security exploits? I'm sure there are some, but I wonder if it's enough to really worry about....

Jennifer
This is actually a call that was tough to make for the developers, I imagine. Earlier in the year they were pretty focused on getting 3.0 out the door and (among other things) felt like the community would object strongly to a refocus on 2.0. As it turned out, they took quite a bit of heat for deferring a security audit of 2.0 until 3.0 release. With 2.0.17 they've reversed themselves on that decision.

This is one of those decisions where it's proved to be hard to satisfy everybody just in point of fact. Anything that further slows 3.0 development is considered by some to be yet another nail in phpBB's coffin. But others can just as easily argue that another big hole in 2.0 could pretty much nail the coffin shut altogether.

A MOD's Enemy

Post by A MOD's Enemy »

Aww, forget it. This is going off topic.

Graham

Post by Graham »

I know that you decided to lock your own topic, but I'm going to add some thing to it, and that is this....

There will be (at least)* a further release in the 2.0.x line before there is a release in the 3.0.x line.

I don't think I'm really giving anything away by saying that - it should be fairly obvious to anyone who thinks about it from the fact that we opened a bug tracker for 2.0.x and are conducting an audit of the code.

* - No I'm not saying that there will be more than one, but we cannot guarantee either way as it depends on several factors
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!