Wow :D

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
the_dan

Wow :D

Post by the_dan »

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=316489" target="_blank

Very interesting indeed!
If I can find some others to work with (i.e. not alone!) then I'd certainly like to do somthing with that.
Anyone else planning on having a bash?

SamG

Re: Wow :D

Post by SamG »

Wow indeed!

I think this is a positive step, or at least a positive experiment. Kudos to Paul and Meik for putting all this together.

I'd love to take a crack at WYSIWYG. I see WordPress is going to deploy WYSIWYG with v1.6, so I'd be interested in seeing where phpBB could go with the concept (even though I'm not a fan of the idea). But there's no way I could do this alone, and I don't have any friends any more ( :cry: ), so it's a no go from the get.

rayk

Post by rayk »

Wow sounds pretty awsome! Pitty I'm just starting with php and mysql, so I can't enter.

Good luck to anyone that does though!

msibm

Post by msibm »

phpBB revives.

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

This proves that phpBB developers are listening :). There will be WYSIWYG and karma in v3.0!

phpBB3 seems to be looking good again. It's always good to have fresh blood, and I'm thankful that the developers have thought out of this, you don't have to train him/her, and the work is done.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

There will be WYSIWYG and karma in v3.0!
Not will be, might be. No-one may feel upto these projects, or all the submissions for them maybe in the views of the team, so flawed that they can't accept them. But atleast there is a chance now.

So, this is the big announcement then. Typically, like all things like this, it's really badly timed for me. I'm already working on a project that is taking up most of my rime (though, we're aiming for a September beta, so, that could be done soon, if all goes well), however, even if I did decide I had the time, and there was a team that was willing to let me join despite the fact that at first I wouldn't be able to get too much done, I leave for a two week holiday tomorrow night, so, I'm not going to be here for the planning stage anyway. Shame.

But, good luck to all that do take part. Who knows, it your code is really good, the devs could take you on as long term team members for 3.1, or, if they do carry on support for 2.0.x, as they say they will, surely they will need more devs, and who better than people they, by then, would know as reliable, and who follow the coding guidelines, and have a good knowledge of the phpBB codebase.

Oh, and, if, say, in about a month and a half, you suddenly realise that you need an extra person to help out on your project, I might be willing.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

I'd bet on these features being more likely in 3.2. Meik got some time off of work, and hinted at spending at least a little bit of it on phpBB. He goes back to work on Monday apparently, so I'm hoping for a commit by Sunday.

There's an additional upshot of this program, though: possibly vetting for new devs for the core team. That would be even better than the listed features showing up.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

SamG

Post by SamG »

Martin Blank wrote: I'd bet on these features being more likely in 3.2.
Well, since this has been rolled out at this point in time, rather than during the beta cycle or later, I'm assuming (and it is an assumption, to be sure) Paul and Meik see time yet available for 3.0 inclusion.

I suppose it will depend, in part, on the real value of community time, energy, creativity, and expertise. Critics of phpBB as a project have been saying there is a high value to these resources, and now we have a chance to find out -- through an open door to make substantive contributions to phpBB's core. It's potentially an exciting thing, if we deliver.

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

Martin Blank wrote: There's an additional upshot of this program, though: possibly vetting for new devs for the core team. That would be even better than the listed features showing up.
Ding ding ding!

This is basically Paul and Meik's test for potential new developers, while invariably helping to complete phpBB3. Kills two birds with one stone, and helps just about everyone involved.

Two thumbs up!

OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

about f'n time... :?
phpBB phpBB phpBB phpBB