AMD or Pentium

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
stubbers

AMD or Pentium

Post by stubbers »

Yet another time and DB space wasting topic brought to you by STUBBERS!

The question of the day is AMD or Pentium, and GOD no ONE make the same mistake as me and get a celeron NO LAUGHING DAMMIT

the_dan

Re: AMD or Pentium

Post by the_dan »

stubbers wrote: Yet another time and DB space wasting topic brought to you by STUBBERS!

The question of the day is AMD or Pentium, and GOD no ONE make the same mistake as me and get a celeron NO LAUGHING DAMMIT
AMD is a company. Pentium is a model.

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

Well... it depends on what specific processor of each you are looking at. At the high-end 64-bits, I prefer AMDs at the moment, while at the low-end I usually opt for P4's.

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

I'm well aware of that, fine INTEL PENTIUM or AMD ATHLON

What's your opinion

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Well it, quite obviously, depends on what you're doing, and which models of Pentium processor you're comparing with which models of which processor types from AMD. Obviously, if the choice is between an Intel Penitum 166Mhz MMX and an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ for a gaming rig, then you're going with the latter.
Rob

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

I have leaned toward Intel and Pentium over the years. The newer 64-bit stuff has been mostly in AMD's court and Intel is playing catch-up IMO (especially with 64-bit and 32-bit compatible CPUs), and new dual-core and quad-core CPUs will be the trend in the future as density and performance continue to mostly following Moore's "law". They both are very good and we have several of each kind at work and what you get surely depends on what you are doing and need as Roberdin clearly points out, but sometimes our "personal biases" can cloud our vision ;). I have used dual and quad-Penium workstations for years at work. And yes -- Intel workstations are great IMO and have been better and more cost effective than our old DEC's, SGI's, and Sun's over the past few decades for our technology efforts and scientific research; they are especially good with cost-effective great graphics adapters now available (both ATI and NVidia types are very good IMO). I also chose and use Pentium IV's at home. But AMD's recent advances are taking notice and I may give them a try at home too in the not-too-distant future, especially if I try one of the newer 64-bit motherboards which I have been seriously considering building up. My son begs for us to build a new gaming system about every 2-3 years ;), so we are "struggling" deciding whether to go with AMD or Intel this time. It will take about another year before the software catches up to the new 64-bit hardware now available, but it may happen sooner than that too... The advances in CPUs, disks, graphics adapters, etc., over the past decades have been phenomenal to say the least. Moore's "law" remains ever true in the more general sense of system performance improvements and Ray Kurzweil's computer predictions may come true after all (tis scary but maybe possible as some of us reason and think about the many possibilities)...

ChALkeR

Post by ChALkeR »

AMD 64

P.S. And Intel HT has a vulnerability.

http://www.daemonology.net/hyperthreadi ... d-harmful/" target="_blank
but that is a problem of servers
Sorry for my bad English....

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

As I understand this vulnerability (where one process can steal data from another being executed simultaneously even if it is 'protected' by the operating system), a user already needs permission to execute arbitary code on the processor to steal information from the other running process. Timing is also critical here, as the processes have to be executed simultaneously (via hyper-threading) for one to steal data (such as an RSA key) from the other. By the time the user has that level of access, then the specific vulnerability is essentially moot anyway, as there are easier ways to get this data that will work across processor architectures.
Rob

who_cares

Post by who_cares »

I use AMD's mostly but I have a centrino. It's easier to get a P4 since they come in every computer you buy

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

:|

Eh? Where are you buying, your local Dell outlet?
Rob