What will happen to this board?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
smardy

Re: What will happen to this board?

Post by smardy »

markus_petrux wrote: Sorry, I always wanted to ask this: What does area51 mean? :oops:
I've never heard of anyone not knowing about Area51 (got its name by grid 51) its the worst kept secret in the U.S. lol :mrgreen:

Cr@ter$

Post by Cr@ter$ »

smardy wrote: I've never heard of anyone not knowing about Area51 (got its name by grid 51) its the worst kept secret in the U.S. lol :mrgreen:
True... but one of the best mis-information topics for decades ;)

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

Yoda_IRC wrote: I have always wondered if there is an area50?

Anyway that is the orriginal meaning of area51 i think.

Not sure why they choose "area51" for here. Maybe it was something to do with developing new technology ;) (however phpBB is hardly a goverment secret, thankfully)

Its a pity area51central don't take there security as seriously as the real area51, they are using a horribly outdated version of phpBB lol.
A very long time ago I did a research paper on Area 51 and found some very interesting facts.

Russian satelites have taken photos of the actually only 50 square mile or so (don't quote me on this...) landing strip of area 51. These have been shot down.

The government agent mentioned actually gave a small bit of information concerning how the area was orginized: apparently next to area 51 is area 54 and 52 as well as others, so the vast expanse of space seems to be sevaral, not one single, government facility.

Groom lake was, at one point, a rival of even Lake St. Claire. The water suddenly mysteriously disapeared and the lake mysteriously disapeared off all US Maps in the 1950's. Anyone who has an old map from before that point check this out, it's quite true.

Basically, we get small tidbits about Groom lake area that actually MIGHT be spoon fed to us by the government themselves. I speculate the aliens and such are actually spoon fed stories so the goverment can hide thier STARGATE type programs but again that's simply speculation. (No I am NOT reffering to the TV show, do a google search ( US stargate) or simply go here:
http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/stargate.htm" target="_blank )

The information above is also in several books and is also on the library of Congress website. If you want my opinion on if it's true or not your not getting it on this site ;)

Anyway, that's just extra info unrelated to the site but since we were on the topic I just thought I would mention it ;)

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Spectral Dragon wrote: Russian satelites have taken photos of the actually only 50 square mile or so (don't quote me on this...) landing strip of area 51. These have been shot down.
That is quite interesting. I didn't know it was possible to shoot down a satelite.
Rob

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

Electromagnetic guns, high-energy beam weapons, and kinetic-energy vehicles are items used for such things (ground-based and Space Weapons research continues in the guise of Star-Wars type programs).

** but these will not determine the outcome of this "peaceful" area51 board :) **

SamG

Post by SamG »

In another century or so, people are going to laugh about all this Area 51 nonsense, since by then it'll be well known that after alien craft recovered at Roswell were successfully reverse engineered, the place was used to develop Orville Redenbacher's popcorn (notice please that Redenbacher's research was especially productive from 1959-1965 -- after alien agricultural methods had been successfully adapted for terrestrial use).

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Spectral Dragon wrote: Russian satelites have taken photos of the actually only 50 square mile or so (don't quote me on this...) landing strip of area 51. These have been shot down.
Every satellite capable of taking phots has reasonably good photos of Area 51. If the Russians had lost every single spy satellite, you can bet that they would have put up a fight. Besides, the amount of debris generated would make it pointless to do so, because then everyone's satellites are at risk.
Groom lake was, at one point, a rival of even Lake St. Claire. The water suddenly mysteriously disapeared and the lake mysteriously disapeared off all US Maps in the 1950's. Anyone who has an old map from before that point check this out, it's quite true.
The water didn't go anywhere. There never was water, except for the occasional storm that left some in the lakebed. That's why it's always been called "Groom Dry Lake."
The information above is also in several books and is also on the library of Congress website.
I don't mind speculation, but please try to get accurate or at least plausible information before making up your mind.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

cyberCrank wrote: Electromagnetic guns, high-energy beam weapons, and kinetic-energy vehicles are items used for such things (ground-based and Space Weapons research continues in the guise of Star-Wars type programs).

** but these will not determine the outcome of this "peaceful" area51 board :) **
rofl.

High-energy beam weapons? Kinetic-energy vehicles?
So in other words, some form of laser, or bullet/non-explosive missile?

A laser would be an extremely expensive 'solution' to the satelite 'problem'. First, targeting it would be next to impossible. Second, the amount of air acting to diffuse the beam would require phenomenal amounts of energy to over come, and then you need to have sufficient power to do some damage once it had left the amosphere. The easiest way of accomplishing this would be to reduce the size of the beam, which of course makes it far harder to target something important with. The difference of a thousandth of a degree on the ground could move the beam by hundreds of feet on the satelite.
And talk about light shows, these would be noticable for hundreds of miles around, possibly even during daylight. Any idiot would notice this going on.

As for the missile/bullet... well no bullet would ever reach that height, let alone with sufficient force to disrupt a satelite's operations permanently; and a missile would again be kind of obvious.

As for the electromagnetic gun... another, frankly ludicruous solution. There's no way to focus electromagnetic fields at an object, so creating a field would disrupt everything within a few miles. And of course, to combat this, the satelite could simply be wrapped in an electromagnetically-conducting medium (eg, tin foil) which would immediately dissipate any low-frequency eletromagnetic waves. Naturally, this would cause problems for communication, but the communications dishes could be mounted externally.

Oh, and these 'Star-Wars' type programmes are, to no-one's surprise, crap and do not work.
Rob

Spectral Dragon

Post by Spectral Dragon »

LMFAO

As allready stated you guys can have your opinion, I won't express mine. I stated what was actuall fact as actuall fact, I stated what was speculation as speculation. I will leave it at that :)

I will say that it's quite public news that the US can shoot down satelites with Laser technology. A laser is not THAT expensive to make.

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

Roberdin wrote: rofl
But the research continues regardless of what one may think ;). Think "space-based" for beam weapons regarding accuracy and power, think rail guns regarding EM, think in terms of missiles and satellites regarding kinetic-energy weapons (non-nuclear). But do not think in terms of "Buck Rogers" or "Revenge of the Sith" as they are fictional... :)

** but again, this board will likely survive any near-term events and may even help to bring communities together; and someday when all the gravitational forces coalign, we may gain access to the elusive and mysterious phpBB 3.0 critical technologies vaulted behind closed doors... :) **