What will happen to this board?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Yoda_IRC

Re: What will happen to this board?

Post by Yoda_IRC »

I have always wondered if there is an area50?

Anyway that is the orriginal meaning of area51 i think.

Not sure why they choose "area51" for here. Maybe it was something to do with developing new technology ;) (however phpBB is hardly a goverment secret, thankfully)

Its a pity area51central don't take there security as seriously as the real area51, they are using a horribly outdated version of phpBB lol.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Yoda_IRC wrote: Its a pity area51central don't take there security as seriously as the real area51, they are using a horribly outdated version of phpBB lol.
...Or perhaps that's just what they want you to think ;)
Rob

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

What I always wonder is how they can threaten you with violence if you don't move away from somwhere that they've stated doesn't exist :?

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Remember, this is coming from the US army and government ;)
Rob

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Roberdin wrote: Remember, this is coming from the US army and government ;)
Oh yeah :P

I remember someone's blog making an anallergy between America and the drunk in a bar waving a shotgun - Everyone is afraid of them, but nobody respects them. Twas rather good, I thought 8)

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

the_dan wrote: What I always wonder is how they can threaten you with violence if you don't move away from somwhere that they've stated doesn't exist :?
They have never stated that it doesn't exist. They have denied knowledge of its existence. There's a technical difference.

And the land it is on is still federally-owned land in use by the Dept of Defense. While shoot orders are rare for installations, they do exist. One of my colleagues used to guard nuclear artillery warheads. Their warning shots were to be aimed at the center of mass.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

How delightful.

We just keep our live nuclear devices on submarines on the bottom of the ocean... somewhere.
Rob

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

Roberdin wrote: How delightful.

We just keep our live nuclear devices on submarines on the bottom of the ocean... somewhere.
Then we sell them to Canada, where they catch fire :oops: :|

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Roberdin wrote: How delightful.

The UK still has nuclear bombs, and perhaps artillery shells. They may not be forward-deployed, but they do exist.

And my colleague is in his fifties. He last guarded those shells more than thirty years ago.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Fair enough.

The submarine sold to Canada was actually going to be dumped before they offered to buy it, IIRC.
Rob