Google Web Accelerator & Olympus

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
expert01

Google Web Accelerator & Olympus

Post by expert01 »

I've noticed Olympus has some new features over the 2.x version of phpBB. Do these features prevent the Google Web Accelerator bug (of users accessing pages only other users can see)? Has anyone tested?

DeadEye686

Re: Google Web Accelerator & Olympus

Post by DeadEye686 »

expert01 wrote: I've noticed Olympus has some new features over the 2.x version of phpBB. Do these features prevent the Google Web Accelerator bug (of users accessing pages only other users can see)? Has anyone tested?
To my knowledge, there's absolutely nothing that can prevent this bug except for Google fixing it.

Edit: Let me give my reasoning for that, so that someone can correct me if I'm incorrect. The problem currently is that if GoogleWA finds a cached version of the "private" page on its servers (it's actually more complicated than this, as there are a couple of algorithms to determine whether this happens - these algorithms need major tweaking at the moment), then it simply doesn't even contact the server with phpBB, it just serves the user the page found in its cache. Therefore, short of not providing the private page to an authenticated user (and thusly passing it into the GoogleWA cache if the user is using it), there is nothing that phpBB could do to prevent it.

expert01

Post by expert01 »

Does having the ?sid= change the pages so they're not cached?

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Google does indeed cache Olympus's pages, even with the SID. I'm not sure that it is a big deal with phpBB, though, from what I've read on Accelerator. phpBB uses real confirm options, not javascript.
A_Jelly_Doughnut

expert01

Post by expert01 »

I meant will it change so that when you go to an Olympus forum the ?sid= is different for you and you won't see stuff you're not supposed to.

nezermundy

Post by nezermundy »

The porblem is Google could automaticly log you into the site as some one else, even an admin!

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

nezermundy wrote: The porblem is Google could automaticly log you into the site as some one else, even an admin!
It won't log you in - You just mioght be able to view sections of it. You can't make any changes etc.

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

I've heard of people being able to read other people's PMs with it.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Indeed, quite possible ... but you'll get nowhere if you try and POST anything via a cached page. At that stage it'll require you to reauthenticate as appropriate.

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

So wait, google can cache restricted sub-forums, can't you lock google out using permissions