Progress Bar

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
mastermike707

Progress Bar

Post by mastermike707 »

Well, I have seen a lot of topics asking for dates/progress. Instead of answering these, why not just put a progress bar on the main page (area51.phpbb.com) saying the percent complete and/or an estimated release date. Then you don't have everyone asking the same thing and it would save some confusion.

Yoda_IRC

Re: Progress Bar

Post by Yoda_IRC »

The admins have explained this several times i think.

The problem i see with it is mainly the problem of estimating completeion wrong. If you think that you only have a few small features left to do the bar will be nearly full but then once you start doing it you find it is bigger than you thought you would have to move the bar backwards which would give the impression of progress going backwards (hich would be incorrect).

Also if admin estimate a release date people will try to hold then to that date. I'm not sure if the thread "its now late-febuary" (or summit similar) still exists but that was people moaning cause admin siad a release date and over ran. Also admin may try to meet an estimate which could mean them cutting corners and releasing a product thats not fully finished so will have bugs (which people when then start moaning about)

Personally i would prefer a tick list, listing what features are coded and what isn't but i doubt this will happen either. would also need to decide wether creating this kind of tracking system would be a good use of an admins time and wether it would be better spent on what the do well (coding this forum).

marrabel

Post by marrabel »

I think it's not possible to say the % of the progress, because you can not exactly say what needs to be done (and how much work/files/coding that will be) before the Olympus is completely finished.

But there is already a kind of progress report, called "CVS Statistics", available at http://area51.phpbb.com" target="_blank ;)

Have a look at this topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19249

Obi_Wan

Post by Obi_Wan »

It is like Knights of the old republik 2. When the devs get or set a release date, they will try to stick to that and features or other things will be left out.

I would prefer a tick list as well, but I rather wait for a good product some months longer than get a buggy product which won't work in the end.
May /dev/null be with you!

w3neo

Post by w3neo »

Reading these posts made me think about this very forum we are now posting in. I can well imagine that this forum has had it's share of attacks already with people trying to find ways in which the developers have to seal up along the way... who knows how long it is going to take to get down the road when you have no idea how many monkey wrenches of the multitudes tossed at you will hit their target. These come from both life on the before the code is wrote end and from low lifes with nothing better to do then spoil someone elses fun once it is released.

Guess what I mean is that if the devs wanted to put up some progress report in whatever form they chose I would love to see it, after all that why I keep checking back here a few times a week for the last couple years but I also understand this is a freebie for me that they are sharing out of the goodness of their own nature so I certainly have no reason to complain or push the bounds of what is offered.

w3

mastermike707

Post by mastermike707 »

ok, I still would like some kind of indication of how much is done. The CVS Stats isn't an indication because you don't know how much left they have to go, just that there are so and so lines of code. I still don't understand why the milestones were canceled, they at least were a type of indication.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

They weren't cancelled. They were just changed. Some features were removed from the list, and the remaining features became M3, which is still being worked on.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

olger901

Post by olger901 »

There is no progressbar, it's done when it's done. Admins have stated this several times if you read the forums.
-

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

mastermike707 wrote: ok, I still would like some kind of indication of how much is done. The CVS Stats isn't an indication because you don't know how much left they have to go, just that there are so and so lines of code. I still don't understand why the milestones were canceled, they at least were a type of indication.

Code: Select all

(c) SHS` 2005

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   |                                  |                                  |
   -----------------------------------------------------------------------

(x+1) days                          x days                           (x-1) days
till release                     till release                       till release

(we are here)
Happy now?
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

TrevorB

Post by TrevorB »

Nice one SHS. Now everytime someone asks, you can show them your beautiful artwork.