faster?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Natan

faster?

Post by Natan »

Is it just me or is area51 loading pages twice as fast as it used to? I like this!
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

olger901

Re: faster?

Post by olger901 »

It loads much faster here aswell, perhaps a huge query optimization, perhaps a server upgrade who knows ;)
-

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

The server load doesn't appear to be all that much different to before...

Natan

Post by Natan »

I don't know what it is, but I'm loving it!
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

webstars

Post by webstars »

yah, it is the same out here. I guess this improvement is something to do with the new way to access the database data or the cacheing system in olympus!!

MonteCarloNOS

Post by MonteCarloNOS »

Yea, this version (2.1.2) is running extremely fast. The sql queries have dropped tremedously. My phpbb 2.0.14 board=48 queries, new phpbb 2.1.2=8. Great job devs. :D
My Site:

http://predictrightforums.tk

News:
Take part in the testing of Predict Right's future forum.

http://predictright.myvnc.com/testboard ... /index.php

Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

MonteCarloNOS wrote: Yea, this version (2.1.2) is running extremely fast. The sql queries have dropped tremedously. My phpbb 2.0.14 board=48 queries, new phpbb 2.1.2=8. Great job devs. :D
if your getting 48 queries on your 2.0.14 board, something is very wrong. Try using less mods, or mod's that have been coded a bit better. Believe me, it ain't 2.0.14 causing all those queries, it's poorly written mods, or just an overabundance of mods.

MonteCarloNOS

Post by MonteCarloNOS »

Magnotta wrote:
MonteCarloNOS wrote: Yea, this version (2.1.2) is running extremely fast. The sql queries have dropped tremedously. My phpbb 2.0.14 board=48 queries, new phpbb 2.1.2=8. Great job devs. :D
if your getting 48 queries on your 2.0.14 board, something is very wrong. Try using less mods, or mod's that have been coded a bit better. Believe me, it ain't 2.0.14 causing all those queries, it's poorly written mods, or just an overabundance of mods.
Yea I have like 75 mods installed. I am using phpBB2 Plus 1.5.
My Site:

http://predictrightforums.tk

News:
Take part in the testing of Predict Right's future forum.

http://predictright.myvnc.com/testboard ... /index.php

Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

MonteCarloNOS wrote:
Magnotta wrote:
Yea I have like 75 mods installed. I am using phpBB2 Plus 1.5.
I see. It's a good idea to not really use those pre-modded boards. The reason Olympus runs as fast as it does is because all the features were designed to work together and coded at once, which helps a lot because they can share functions where needed or pull information from the same sql query when possible. When you just stack mods upon eachother though you don't get that. You could have 2 mods, each of which uses a similar function, but since it's assumed when installing the mod that no other mods are installed, you'll then end up putting 2 very similar functions into your code to do roughly the same thing. Now, if the involve databse queries, that's an extra query that didn't need to be done. That's how they end up adding up to 40 queries and such. Your better off modding a board yourself. Chances are you don't really need all 75 features that came with phpBB2 plus. If you don't to mod the board yourself because your unexperienced and you don't want to screw anything up, just start off with some small modifications to get used to editing files, and always keep a backup. Juts using piled upon mods though will end up drastically slowing down your board and cause extra queries.

Besides, if you want to update to Olympus when it's released, the less mods you use the easier it will be.

dmaj007

Post by dmaj007 »

There is no reason within the phpBB software to make it faster now then before. I am nearly positive they don't run the latest and greatest here. Also, no large changes to the architecture have been made in the last four months that would make it go faster. Since a hearty portion of phpBB has been rewritten, this has given them a chance to rewrite many queries and use caching for static ones. But, they have already "used" their opertunity to make things faster. Any speed increases that you see must either have stemmed out of enabling GZIP (which may have been enabled anyway!) or changes to the configuration of the server and/or the hardware it sits on.