Awaiting in silence

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
APTX

Re: Awaiting in silence

Post by APTX »

I must say that features are important in some way. Paul even you'll upgrade if there will be a new feature that will become a standard for you (I'm not saying that such things happen every day but they may happen).
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

psoTFX wrote: ...<abridged>...nullsoft/aol can release all the flashy lit versions of winamp they like ... I won't be switching back.

Sound familiar? :)
I stopped upgrading at Winamp version 2.95.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

APTX wrote: I must say that features are important in some way. Paul even you'll upgrade if there will be a new feature that will become a standard for you (I'm not saying that such things happen every day but they
may

happen).
erm, which part of my post said otherwise? Please, don't detract from what I and others are saying. Particularly when I, we've not made any argument against the point you make.

Let me spell it out as clearly as I can one last time:

If someone "needs" a feature that phpBB cannot provide (and for which you do not wish to include one of the many I suspect hundreds of Mods) then just as you'd change a piece of hardware, buy a new appliance, etc. you're best off looking elsewhere.

Those who feel the need to post here (which as I've said before I personally find amusing just as I do when people post to, e.g. cable TV fora of their change to Sky) and complain the slowed pace of development will result in their imminent change ... be honest. If you are are suffering feature envy have the graciousness to state that. Don't go making up stories of how a forum which has obviously served you well enough for weeks/months/years is now "useless" with no obvious supporting reasons.

When noting "other" boards, do your research first ... you'll find the sun doesn't always shine brighter elsewhere.

HHSSpacehog

Post by HHSSpacehog »

*clapping*

dhn

Post by dhn »

psoTFX wrote: An example ... foobar 2000 ... to all intents and purposes it appears as if that application (which I have used for some time now) is "stalled" development wise. It's peers, winamp, etc. still provide new releases ... I don't swap, why? Because foobar 2000 0.8.3 does all that I need. The few things it doesn't do in vanilla form I can obtain via plugins. I don't much care (for now) if no new foobar release is "ever" made. Of course, if some new format is developed which I wish to use and which foobar (through one of its plugins) cannot support I'll look elsewhere. But for now it's fine, nullsoft/aol can release all the flashy lit versions of winamp they like ... I won't be switching back.

Sound familiar? :)
Quoted for the awesomeness that is foobar2000.

kieroth_whiteleaf

Post by kieroth_whiteleaf »

As far as I can tell (and I'm sure someone will prove me wrong, it's happened more than once before, like with my comment about quick reply) there aren't any features in 3.0 that 2.x doesn't have with a mod or two.

The major difference I can see is reorganization of the acp/ucp, some performance issues (and since I don't notice performance problems on my 2.x board I'm gonna call that one negligible - I'm sure people who do baselines with bigger forums will argue the merits a little strongly but in my little tiny corner of the world it's just not an issue) and better security. My forum has only been hacked once (no, that's not an invitation) and that was by one of my own admins as an april fool's day prank... I don't think even the new version would have protected me from that one since I gave the guy an admin account.

The MAIN reason *I* want the new version is because it'll do the things I want it to without mods, which means it's easier to backup/restore/migrate and also make it easier to patch when the inevitable security bugs are found. There's also a few things it can't do currently that I'm too lazy to install mods for (like category design templates) that will be nice when it happens but not worth the work. I'll use most of the new features (the ones I've seen anyways) but the features I need I already have.

If you have a modded 2.x board already, there's no reason you *need* to upgrade. It'll be smart to once the new one is out (since ideally the security and performance will be better out of the "box") but I don't understand the urgency.

There's some styles stuff I want to do for some of our game lines. I'm not gonna start it until 3.0 is done because I don't have to redo it. But I *could* do it in 2.0 if I *had* to, it's just not urgent enough to where I care that much. The current one is working fine.

On the winamp thing - I use winamp 'cuz I like it (never tried foobar, but I'm happy with what I have) and even with new features all I really care about is that it plays my mp3s. I upgrade from time to time, usually when I reinstall my computer, put the latest version of winamp on and that version usually stays until I have to format again.

If there's no pressing *need*, why upgrade for the sake of upgrading? I've never, ever, ever seen a user complain that a system wasn't using the most current version UNLESS there was a feature they wanted that they weren't getting. 99% of normal end users probably aren't even aware of what version you're running and 99.5% probably don't know what the most current version is.

I'll upgrade my board. Probably in the RC stages. I'd like to do it sooner rather than later. But I'm not losing sleep - I have other things to do besides obsess over release dates.

I check the CVS checkin log once or twice a day most days to see if there's been enough changes that I think the new version might be close on the horizon (or at least there might be some updated news from devs) but that's about the extent of it.

SFG

APTX

Post by APTX »

psoTFX wrote:
APTX wrote: I must say that features are important in some way. Paul even you'll upgrade if there will be a new feature that will become a standard for you (I'm not saying that such things happen every day but they
may

happen).
erm, which part of my post said otherwise? Please, don't detract from what I and others are saying. Particularly when I, we've not made any argument against the point you make.

Let me spell it out as clearly as I can one last time:

If someone "needs" a feature that phpBB cannot provide (and for which you do not wish to include one of the many I suspect hundreds of Mods) then just as you'd change a piece of hardware, buy a new appliance, etc. you're best off looking elsewhere.

Those who feel the need to post here (which as I've said before I personally find amusing just as I do when people post to, e.g. cable TV fora of their change to Sky) and complain the slowed pace of development will result in their imminent change ... be honest. If you are are suffering feature envy have the graciousness to state that. Don't go making up stories of how a forum which has obviously served you well enough for weeks/months/years is now "useless" with no obvious supporting reasons.

When noting "other" boards, do your research first ... you'll find the sun doesn't always shine brighter elsewhere.
Ok I should have stayued quiet since that was not the reaction I expected... but then again we think the same way :D
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

xdarkday

Post by xdarkday »

Well just to to add to the thread...

One reason why new features are important on "vanilla" boards for any BB software is the support. There were a few things i needed support for on one of my boards so i switched it to SMF. It was a standard feature on SMF so I knew i could rely on the support teams for support. I still run phpBB's on other sites. Somtimes its just really hard to get good support for MODs. If things you needed were standard then the support is just that much better commming from the team instead of a MOD author.

Everything I needed is going to be in 3.0.x and i plan to convert back to phpbb when it is realeased (for that one SMF board im running)