Awaiting in silence

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
stu15

Re: Awaiting in silence

Post by stu15 »

JPortal wrote:
Virtuality wrote:
JPortal wrote: ...
Then switch to SMF instead of coming here whining.
No, you don't get my point. I don't WANT to switch to SMF. I love phpBB, but it's going to end up that I have to just because the development is so slow.

It's amazing how hostile the phpBB community is to suggestions.

I was merely suggesting Paul and the other developers should try to speed it up. They themselves know it's going slow and it doesn't have to be that way. I'm not saying they should quit their day jobs,
You forget they (Paul and the other developers) need to make money to live & they also have life’s outside of phpBB ( & a lot of people on phpBB.com & area51 forget that)

& it is because of there life’s that things are going slow for phpBB 2.2/3.0....

People just have to be patent, I for one is.

We want phpBB 2.2/3.0 to be better then 2.0.X? correct? Then we have to wait :)
I'm saying maybe they should expand the development team so more people can work on it. I also understand why Paul is hesitant to expand the team,
Exactly, think about it for a min, what if Paul did expand the dev expand the team? They could be a lot more delays in phpBB 3.0
but it's getting to the point that the forum is basically un-usable to many people, such as me.
In what way? Does 2.0.X does not have all the features you what? If that’s the case then there are mods/hacks out there that give you some of the features 2.2/3.0 will offer & if they don’t & you know php then you could do a mod/hack that adds another one of those features in to 2.0.X

My 5 cents :)
stu15> Registered User > I maybe wrong...So please correct him || My Forum - Stu's phpBB Helpdesk || Volvo Ocean Race Talk - Talk All about the Volvo Ocean Race || America's Cup Forum

Nuttyguy

Post by Nuttyguy »

JPortal wrote: I love phpBB but I may have to switch (to SMF)
listen Josh... if you want to stay with phpBB, but are impatient... download a CVS, finish coding it yourself til you feel its secure and working bugfree, then put it on your site. Telling everyone the developers are going slow isnt gonna make them go faster. What will get it in your hands faster is if you just quit YOUR day job, stop spending time whining, and code it yourself. Maybe you can even see if a few other coders will help you... you can design your own BB system off of phpBB3 CVS(s).

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Switch to SMF? Go ahead ... from my (admittedly small amount of) understanding SMF effectively equates to phpBB 2.0.x + subfora + attachments + one or two other features. I'm not knocking SMF at all and as Graham notes we won't allow such discussions here. However I do find it somewhat "strange" that people compare 2.0.x features unfavourably with that board. I mean, if features are what you want there are other solutions loaded with everything and anything.

As for adding team members, blah blah ... no offence but when two developers say "No" and give reasons over and over again which have been and are echoed by people far far greater than ourselves ... I think people should take the point as "fact" rather than believing we're simply being difficult :)

And these arguments I see ... "Well it no longer has the features I need" ... ya know, if someone runs a forum which has grown to thousands of active members and has hudreds of thousands of posts, etc. They still run this board solely, blah blah. I those situations I can see how certain features present in 3.x and in boards such as IPB and vB may yield some benefits. But ya know what? This is the case for a tiny tiny fraction of those who complain. Thus I'm at a loss as to why a board which has worked perfectly well for X months/years suddenly no longer serves the purpose ... I do honestly believe (as I've noted many times before) it's feature envy, nothing more nothing less. Nothing wrong with that, but it'd be nice if people actually stated it as a reason rather than using what IMHO are in most cases bogus arguments.

stu15

Post by stu15 »

You have a very Good & valid point there psoTFX
stu15> Registered User > I maybe wrong...So please correct him || My Forum - Stu's phpBB Helpdesk || Volvo Ocean Race Talk - Talk All about the Volvo Ocean Race || America's Cup Forum

alexro

Post by alexro »

Indeed :mrgreen:
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

APTX

Post by APTX »

Why is everyone saying "indeed"? :mrgreen:
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

APTX wrote: Why is everyone saying "indeed"? :mrgreen:

Indeed ;)

JPortal

Post by JPortal »

Nuttyguy wrote: What will get it in your hands faster is if you just quit YOUR day job, stop spending time whining, and code it yourself.
No, you see, here's someone else who just mindlessly posts in anger because of what I said.

I respect Paul a lot more for what he said just because he was polite about it. Basically everyone here has treated me like an idiot except for Paul.

All I'm saying is this. phpBB right now is kind of like Debian. Everyone knows it, a lot of people love it (myself included) but development is slowing to the point that the only way to get needed features is to use an unstable CVS version.

I understand what Paul said about feature envy, but phpBB 2.2/3 has had a lot of features (attachments, new styles system, etc) for MONTHS, if not years. I personally think the feature set should have been frozen a long time ago and they should have released a beta and the version 3.0.x line as it is right now. But now we have a ton of new features that the devs are working on that could easily take another 2 or 3 years to complete!

I honestly don't care that much about features, speed, etc - phpBB is good and yes, I can modify it if it does not has features I want - my forum has been running the attachments mod for over a year now. My problem is that when it gets to the point that there are NO usable improvements to software for 2+ years, something should be done. That was my only point all along and it's amazing how the community here is so defensive about it, and are really just jerks about it (except the devs and moderators, who actually know something - props to them for that).

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

An example ... foobar 2000 ... to all intents and purposes it appears as if that application (which I have used for some time now) is "stalled" development wise. It's peers, winamp, etc. still provide new releases ... I don't swap, why? Because foobar 2000 0.8.3 does all that I need. The few things it doesn't do in vanilla form I can obtain via plugins. I don't much care (for now) if no new foobar release is "ever" made. Of course, if some new format is developed which I wish to use and which foobar (through one of its plugins) cannot support I'll look elsewhere. But for now it's fine, nullsoft/aol can release all the flashy lit versions of winamp they like ... I won't be switching back.

Sound familiar? :)

olger901

Post by olger901 »

psoTFX wrote: An example ... foobar 2000 ... to all intents and purposes it appears as if that application (which I have used for some time now) is "stalled" development wise. It's peers, winamp, etc. still provide new releases ... I don't swap, why? Because foobar 2000 0.8.3 does all that I need. The few things it doesn't do in vanilla form I can obtain via plugins. I don't much care (for now) if no new foobar release is "ever" made. Of course, if some new format is developed which I wish to use and which foobar (through one of its plugins) cannot support I'll look elsewhere. But for now it's fine, nullsoft/aol can release all the flashy lit versions of winamp they like ... I won't be switching back.

Sound familiar? :)
Yup just like I use QuintEssential Player in Windows :)
-