PageBreaker: A fundamental flaw with the templates!

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
BioALIEN

PageBreaker: A fundamental flaw with the templates!

Post by BioALIEN »

There is a fundamental flaw with the template design for view post/topic/forum.
This is common with all phpbb vanila templates whether it is phpBB2.x or this newly developed phpBB3.x

This needs to be fixed before the new phpbb3 is released.

I've conducted a test to show you guys. Please refer to my test here:
viewtopic.php?t=18911" target="_blank

I've managed to create a work around on my site, which also speeds up the generation of posts in large topics. This can be seen here:
http://www.gfxdiary.com/viewtopic.php?t=1059" target="_blank

Discuss all issues regarding this matter on this topic.

Thank you!
Last edited by BioALIEN on Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

stubbers

Re: PageBreaker: A fundamental flaw with the templates!

Post by stubbers »

How do you know it is a flaw or a mistake, if I ever see a word that wont fit in the general width of the page I will be every suprised, and if anyone flooded across the page like that in my forums the topic would be locked and the poster would get quite a serious warning.

Please note also that this is a CVS Board not for use in a live environment at this stage adn the template system may not yet be finished.

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

I know exactly what this board is and what the status of it is. If you read my topic carefully you will realise that i also mentioned this EXIST in phpbb2.x and yet its still here.

This does not neccessarily involve text. I just used a long word to trigger this behaviour. It can easily be done if:
- a user inputs a large signature
- a user inputs a large image in their post
- a user inputs a large link in their post

You seem to make an assumption that *ALL* forums will be 100% width? This is not the case, some users would like their forum to be 50% width and sit nicely in the middle of the page. In this case your argument doesnt stand a chance.

Thank you!
BioALIEN
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

Graham

Post by Graham »

It's a flaw that the page gets stretched if someone posts something wider than the width of the page? No, that's simply how browsers behave by default.

If links stretch the page then you're doing something very wrong, since they get shortened anyway and as for what the new style will do, we won't comment on that until it is released.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

It's a flaw that the page gets stretched if someone posts something wider than the width of the page? No, that's simply how browsers behave by default.
Graham you know thats avoiding the argument here. We're not talking about browsers here, Im talking about posts that *FOLLOW* the pagebreaker post (main topic). This makes it very hard to see whats going on. If you look at the test i conducted, you can see that the post following the page breaker was also affected and stretched, even though it was perfectly within the "browser limit" and should have been forced to break since it had spaces and short words. 8)
BioALIEN

Arty
Former Team Member

Post by Arty »

I don't see any fix on your page. It stretches page as it is supposed to (using Opera 8). Maybe you "fixed" it for IE, but not for all browsers. And you should fix text align on your forum because all text is centered.

And, as Graham said, its not a bug. Its how browsers work. Until browsers support "wrap-option" css (its CSS3 that isn't supported by any browser right now) there is nothing you can do about it, except for putting post in div and setting overflow of that div to "auto" so scrollbar would appear only for that post (or overflow-x for IE).

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

I've been using your solution for months on my 2.0.x forum, it's just a template matter.. Nobody has seen the new 3.0 style and it might have a simular solution.

White Dust

Post by White Dust »

He means the other post... only the post wich streches the forum is streched... the other posts remains the same width
Sing what you can't say, forget what you can't play.
Hasten to drown into beautiful eyes
Walk within my poetry, this dying music
- My loveletter to nobody
* Nightwish: Dead Boy's Poem

subBlue

Post by subBlue »

Don't panic BioAlien! ;) this problem has been addressed in the new style so that a very wide image or string of unbroken characters won't disrupt the previous and subsequent posts.

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

Graham wrote: If links stretch the page then you're doing something very wrong, since they get shortened anyway and as for what the new style will do, we won't comment on that until it is released.
hmm...when user's post really long links they don't get shortened on my board (in 2.0.13). Maybe a mod is affecting it...I dunno...or maybe you're not talking about 2.0.x.

Sometimes people are just silly and do things like put 100 exclamation points not intending to make the page stretch. I just go in and edit it and ask them not to do it again. No biggie.
I can't delete my signature.