mods

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
smardy

mods

Post by smardy »

when Olympus is releast what will happen to the mods on your forums when you upgrade, will it just over ride them (copy over the mod files) or will you get errors?

stubbers

Re: mods

Post by stubbers »

I was told some time ago in a different post that yes it will overwrite all your mods.

smardy

Post by smardy »

ok thanks

SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

It will obviously override the coding, however if there are DB changes, that may interfere with the upgrade script.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"

Dunvallo

Post by Dunvallo »

Good mod authors who are still active in the community will most likely provide an upgrade path to either convert the db changed by the mod back to something that can be upgraded without problems or will even make their mods 3.0 compatible. I would not worry about this for the time being, there will be plenty of time when the release candidates are out (I suggest waiting for the final version to upgrade something difficult like a heavily modded board).
Also you will perhaps find people to help you get your databse to a state where you can upgrade it.

Elarion

Post by Elarion »

And if there are errors with the upgrade script, you could just export the relevant phpBB tables from phpMyadmin, install into a fresh phpbb 2.0.x and then upgrade it. Simple 8)

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

Plus a lot of mods for 2.0.x won't be needed in Olympus as it will come with more features. 2.0.x will still be supported so if you like your forum as it is you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to.
I can't delete my signature.

Crazy Drummer69

Post by Crazy Drummer69 »

A good portion of the modifications that were suggested by the phpBB community were made by modifiers. However, there is a fairly large list of features that the phpBB community has submitted for inclusion in Olympius. Most of these came from mods that are already out there. Chances are, if you have a worthwhile mod, it will be included in Olympius and you won't need to upgrade them at all.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Incorrect. All code (save for Attachments) is written anew (no mod code included), and all mods are considered unsupported. Individual authors are allowed to make their own upgrade plans for their mods, but if you have made changes to the database, you're largely on your own.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

Martin Blank wrote: Incorrect. All code (save for Attachments) is written anew (no mod code included), and all mods are considered unsupported. Individual authors are allowed to make their own upgrade plans for their mods, but if you have made changes to the database, you're largely on your own.
What is incorrect? If you're referring to the poster above you, he said new features in Olympus were found in mods for 2.0.x, which is correct.