Why is there no portal system included with phpbb?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
mastermike707

Re: Why is there no portal system included with phpbb?

Post by mastermike707 »

We are not turning phpBB into a bloated forum, it will be a seperate project and you will still be able to download the normal phpBB. It has nothing to do with making phpBB a universal solution. The idea is to create additional functionality for those who would require an integration of their forum into the rest of their content.
If I begin a portal project, I would leave the forum part, itself unchanged, and I would add addtional modules, such as a news system, a polling system, a stats system, etc. The only part of the original phpbb files I would modify would be the admin panel to include these addtional modules and, of course, the view forums and view topics to include the navigation and sidebars.

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

Well I have a portal for my forum and I didn't change any of the phpbb code. It just pulls content from the forum. A portal is simply a separate front page that aggregates content from multiple pages into one. You don't need to change the source of the content in any way. So...the forum software itself isn't bloated.

I suspect that phpbb 3 will be even easier to create a portal for given it is more object orientated than 2.
I can't delete my signature.

-jm-

Post by -jm- »

It happens :) .

IMO there should be only little modifications to the core files, otherwise you will be forced to port all MODs developed for olympus to your own portal system (and this is the main problem of mx system)

MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

(and this is the main problem of mx system)
What? MX-System is fully modular, and doesn't harm phpBB at all. It's a portal, and as such, it pulls data from phpBB. It doesn't need to have only little modifications to phpBB to work. This makes Olympus upgrades a lot easier. There is no need to modify MX-System to have your MOD work with it unless it's absolutely required (like BBCode add-ons). Besides, MX-System is going to release a portal system version completely compatible with Olympus when Olympus is released...

Again, I really don't see any reason why a portal system should be included with phpBB... all the 3rd party portals are good on their own.
Former phpBB MOD Team Member - No support offered via IM, PM, or email

ScarabWeb

Post by ScarabWeb »

We are developing a portal system specifically for phpBB3. At the moment it's just on paper and ideas, and the main development probably won't start until the first beta of phpBB3 comes out, but at least you'll know there's one on the way ;)

bbrian017

Post by bbrian017 »

Maybe someone can ask about an integrated portal system in the next pod cast. I think that would be the best idea and it would get us the best possible answer?

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

It will never happen, Brian, because a portal is considered a MOD/ADD ON for phpBB3 by phpBB Group.
Acyd Burn wrote:Use vBulleting if it suits your needs better.

The features you need are not always those others need or want. Everyone has another opinion about which features need to be in a forum solution (in which richness and even how those features operate). We will not go away of our road only focussing on building up a forum solution and only integrate those features we see will benefit the most of our userbase.
From my view I can't see how phpBB is going to be competitive with the other forum software if they don't integrate more of these basic features as standard.
Who says we need to be competitive, we want to give our users the best, of course, but we do not have competition in mind (and if i might add this is much more healthy to us). And from your statement it is very clear that you see this as "basic" features, but we don't. We think a portal is another type of software, which needs an other type of thinking, different solutions and methods, different approaches. But we are trying to keep the code as much open for integrational solutions as possible, mostly because we know our modding community is very big and always enjoyed the easiness to plug in/change code in phpBB.

We might not have as many features as some other boards, but for sure we are trying to bring those features we have to a higher quality level, not just throwing it in for the sake of it.

Just wanted to say that you will see no calendar, no photo gallery, no portal, no cms, no roleplaying system... (and so forth) in the final product.

bbrian017

Post by bbrian017 »

Well I didn't think so! I've been using phpbb for over 3 years now and it was never a consideration. Considering you can add a portal system with editing 5 files there's no need for phpbb develop one specific for phpbb. Not to mention all the extra support and mods people would create for the portal system. wow come to think about it, It would be very interesting to see people make mods for portal systems :)

Well anyways cheers

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Brian,

There are currently over half a dozen portals in various development stages for phpBB3. Some of them already have MOD Developers creating MODs for the portal(s). ;)

whazooo

Post by whazooo »

This is gonna be a long one..
I think, as a webmaster that all the portals are over rated and I'll tell ya why.
Starting in 96 I put up a site (static) That became very popular.
people wanted to disseminate their data to my site and Started sending me info to put up on some of the pages,
and I went to shtml.

Well You could imagine that that got old fast. confusing emails about what they wanted and on what page etc.
\So in the interest of my time and sanity, I started looking around and found Matt Wright. Through him I found out about perl,
And away we went. I used a highly moded (hacked) e-mail form with many subject fields that when used would send the info
to a script that put the body in a txt file to be read by and posted on one of the shtml pages.

Ahh the good old days...
But people wanted to "talk" in real time back and forth, So I went huntin for the new thing called a bb, I came across webbs.
It was the s***...
one category and let em post a topic and let em thread their way to oblivion...

The A few of us wanted a forum that only we could chat in. I started to hack it, Got stuck, And took a trip
of to dev shed for some help.
Seen a thread over there asking people to check out this new fangled bb called phpbb.
It was written in this new php stuff and would be much easier on the server.

So Off to the races pretty soon there was a way to password forums and it had that neat flat txt display
everyone wanted. Thing went well for a few years the the natives started getting restless again wanting more
and newer ways to do things and Thefinn and crew kept pumping out the new releases.

But then the request for more and more stuff, That I knew phpbb couldn't provide led me down the evil path of portals.
I was so busy trying to keep up with the users demands for features that I didn't think things through as I should have.
The dreaded day came when some one asked for the ability to upload and post some pictures....

So I got lured into the php-nuke craze, Then I fell in with harry and went to postnuke.. man could I get alot of stuff crammed into
a small place. All the while theFinn and psoTFX were keeping me safe and supplied with the main forum, And the 1.21 stand alone just kept chugging along.
Well my sight fractured into three different fronts and because of something so trivial as themes, I splt the site using three different pieces of software.
2 portals and a standalone phpbb with thousands of users split across three very different databases. Upgrading for security was a nightmare.

And after waiting for the phpbb ports to come out on these different places, And there my friend is the crux of this ramble,
I wold get notification on my phpbb board about this vulnerability or that one and upgrade, Only to live in fear as I watched the ports fall 2 and sometimes
3 versions behind phpbb.
Its all about security, I to this day believe that no portal can be wrote securely around a bbs that isn't written by the developers of that said bbs
as their main intent.

I have in the last week converted all of my databases and forums to phpbb3 rc5 Well now rc6 and I aint never lookin back again!

Thanks phpBB dev team, And heres to ten more...
Whazooo

PS maybe I should look way back, Anybody got a copy of phpbb 1.4.o? ;)
to run phpBB. You need at least the following:
1 Web server w/PHP 3.0.15 or greater (Apache is know to work well)
1 MySQL server (phpBB has been tested on 3.22 and 3.23)
1 Admin crazy enough to run a forum (That would be you :) )
--------
From a long ago user guide,