Browser popup on new PM => JavaScript Alternative?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
BioALIEN

Browser popup on new PM => JavaScript Alternative?

Post by BioALIEN »

Note to the Devs,

Instead of having a popup on the arrival of a new PM why not have a JS alert/confirm dialogue? That way popup blockers dont interfere with the functionality.

Notice: for people with JS disabled then thats a different story! They can choose to have popup on their UCP preferences but I really do think you should consider (repeat consider, not demanding anything here) JavaScript dialogues. :mrgreen:

Great work so far - fingers crossed for an "april fools trick"? :P ;)

Gmail did it to us last year, will Olympus do it this year? :twisted:
Last edited by BioALIEN on Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

Bdis86

Re: Browser popup on new PM (JS Alternative)!

Post by Bdis86 »

Call me crazy, what did gmail do last year? :lol:
-Bill

BioALIEN

Re: Browser popup on new PM (JS Alternative)!

Post by BioALIEN »

They launched Gmail with 1gig of space :| and it wasnt an april fools trick either 8O

Btw guys, my CVS copy is a month out of date. Is it just me or Profile fields isnt working after the 2nd screen where you input a name? Can anybody check on their updated CVS copy?
BioALIEN
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

stubbers

Re: Browser popup on new PM => JavaScript Alternative?

Post by stubbers »

Last time I checked it wasn't but it's still in pre-beta...

There haven't been any additions to the CVS in quite some time so a recent version may be the same as yours (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong). The devs have been busy with 2.0.13 and outside commitments.

I reckon the pop up is fine and JS causes problems for me so i try not to use it too much, i reckon if it can be done without JS then leave JS out of it...

Bdis86 - You are crazy...

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

Hey stubbers, i'll have a look at the latest CVS to check.

Btw, my proposal isnt as farfetched as you may think. How do you think the normal popups are happening? JavaScript ;)

Im just saying instead of a popup a simple JS alert box and you can press OK to go to PM or Cancel to keep doing what you're doing. I've already got the system running for myself!
BioALIEN

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

It is a thought, and I agree a feasable one... However javascript popup boxes have very little control of their visual appearance (once again apologies if i'm wrong). I just think a popup looks neicer and can be set to your theme easily...

R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious »

BioALIEN wrote: why not have a JS alert/confirm dialogue?
IIRC this is a styling issue and can be changed in the template.

However I find thos JS confirmation boxes very annoying, because they get in the way. A popup is a "decent" remiinder - I can ignore it, do what I wanted to do, and then go back to it at any later point, because it will wait in the background.

Confirmation-Boxes on the other hand block your Browser. You cannot do anything unless you react to it - and with regards to PMs - they are not what a user usually wants to do, when he opens a page, so the user will just try to get past it as fast as possible.
Das Kölsch zum Handy.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

A popup can, as R. U. Serious notes, do more than just "alert". It can provide information and links, as it typically does in this case. While I agree that pop up blockers can take issue with this I'm not sure it's a "significant" problem in many cases (where enabling popups on the given site is acceptable for example). However, also as noted it's a minor change to a single template if you wish to alter it.

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

I too like the pop up for PM's, which can be configured in the UCP and on a site-by-site basis for browser pop-up configurations, which I also like to configure based on a site's behavior. This is more efficient in usage and a nice reminder on first viewing a site, but I also get email notifications for PMs which I use for direct links to the PMs. So the current pop-up mode and function I like and it gets my vote too.

** the latest CVS SS version's UCP Profile Fields are working for me as far as I have done limited tested and can tell... **

HDR

Post by HDR »

I'd prefer to have a alert box, someone said this was in the style? which file would i edit to change it to an alert box?