Some People Angry

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Doe Ray Me

Some People Angry

Post by Doe Ray Me »

look at this, What a person i talk to thinks of phpbb 3.0.0 and what John Abela said
Mr. Morrowind says:
They've just made bad decision upon bad decision upon bad decision, not being upfront about a whole lot of things to their community and just being assholes about a lot.
Mr. Morrowind says:
I mean, why the *beep* can't they just admit it
Mr. Morrowind says:
They went in over their heads with 2.1/2.2
Mr. Morrowind says:
they bit off more than they could chew
Mr. Morrowind says:
Result: a very unstable and crappy CVS version of 3.0 that will probably not be released for another 18 months minimal and by then by so completely outdated, no one will even care.
Mr. Morrowind says:
If he knows so much, if he has all the answers... let him answer this: Why in the name of all that is good in this world was the decision made to go in this direction?
Mr. Morrowind says:
To just pump it so full of *beep*, 3.0 will kill the entire hack community once it hits...
Mr. Morrowind says:
Why write a hack for it if it's already in the freaking package
Mr. Morrowind says:
It's a miracle they haven't written a phpBBMyAdmin clone and incorporated it into the CVS
Mr. Morrowind says:
I think they actually might have been considering that one
Mr. Morrowind says:
wouldnt put it past them really
Last edited by Doe Ray Me on Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cap'n Refsmmat

Re: Some People Angry

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

I think he's forgotten that these people are volunteers, so they aren't really working full time.

If he wants to see how nice it is, get a CVS.

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

Hehe knowing the devs for so long I think they'll be enjoying reading this. Its more of a complement than a rant :lol:

Tell that person theres still "some" room for hacks. All the mod developers can have a competition who makes the best Quick Reply system since its the only obvious phpbb essential :mrgreen:

Consider yourself lucky if the devs dont add it in the /contrib/ directory :twisted:
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

And the point of this topic was?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

SolarFX wrote: And the point of this topic was?
Hehe, who cares, sounds funny... People complaining because this things too good at what it does... Hehehehe, what's next!! :lol:

SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

People complaining because it's smarter than them.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"

SamG

Post by SamG »

Mr. Morrowind is entitled to his opinion (as is John Abela). I think Mr. Morrowind fails to see which way the wind is blowing.

Consider the amount of pressure phpBB is under to shift from it's original purpose of being a core product which people could adapt to their needs. The phpBB community is changing - or at least under significant pressure to change - with a larger percentage of people wanting to use phpBB without having to aquire the technical skills needed to adapt it. Fewer people seem to be supportive of the idea of MODs as opposed to toggles.

The desire for an integrated portal is, in my opinion, a reflection of this shift. As a community, we're moving closer to a "website-in-a-box" expectation than ever before.

Sure, the "old school" phpBBers are uncomfortable, and that has helped fuel the idea of keeping 2.0 officially alive and supported and possibly even enhanced. But the "new school" phpBBers are helping to apply pressure that seeks to take phpBB beyond a "core forum product" into a "complete out-of-the-box site solution."

Just read around here a bit to see that everybody from gaming clans to semi-specialized business environments have hopes and even expectations that phpBB will include more, wider functionality out-of-the-box in future versions (hopefully sooner rather than later). The turnkey expectation is growing, or so it appears, in relation to the original idea of stable core.

Possibly it all comes down to growing pains. I can't say. Certainly the seriously extended development cycle of 2.2/3.0 hasn't helped. We've had a lot of time, as a community, to build expectations. Whatever the situation, phpBB is under considerable pressure to change, and vitriolic rants won't change that fact.

Just my own opinion, of course ...
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

SamG wrote: Mr. Morrowind is entitled to his opinion (as is John Abela). I think Mr. Morrowind fails to see which way the wind is blowing.

Consider the amount of pressure phpBB is under to shift from it's original purpose of being a core product which people could adapt to their needs. The phpBB community is changing - or at least under significant pressure to change - with a larger percentage of people wanting to use phpBB without having to aquire the technical skills needed to adapt it. Fewer people seem to be supportive of the idea of MODs as opposed to toggles.

The desire for an integrated portal is, in my opinion, a reflection of this shift. As a community, we're moving closer to a "website-in-a-box" expectation than ever before.

Sure, the "old school" phpBBers are uncomfortable, and that has helped fuel the idea of keeping 2.0 officially alive and supported and possibly even enhanced. But the "new school" phpBBers are helping to apply pressure that seeks to take phpBB beyond a "core forum product" into a "complete out-of-the-box site solution."

Just read around here a bit to see that everybody from gaming clans to semi-specialized business environments have hopes and even expectations that phpBB will include more, wider functionality out-of-the-box in future versions (hopefully sooner rather than later). The turnkey expectation is growing, or so it appears, in relation to the original idea of stable core.

Possibly it all comes down to growing pains. I can't say. Certainly the seriously extended development cycle of 2.2/3.0 hasn't helped. We've had a lot of time, as a community, to build expectations. Whatever the situation, phpBB is under considerable pressure to change, and vitriolic rants won't change that fact.

Just my own opinion, of course ...
Here here... I agree, and although phpBB was not originally designed to be a complete website that is what people are starting to expect... I don't expect this however I am currently having to try to engineer my own portals on the internet, if phpBB was to integrate this I would instantly use phpBB for all of my web solutions.

Because of the extended development cycle, features which may have been optional back when the feature tracker was open are now standard, and a whole new set of expectations. Not that I'm saying this is anyones fault it was bound to happen... The devs must feel under alot of pressure right now, they are expected to get this finished, while we continually add new requested features. Not a really fair expectation...

My opinion

StUbBeRs

saltydx

Post by saltydx »

I have a board set up now from a snapshot I got today and I'm thrilled with what I've seen so far. Sure it's a pain to have to learn some new stuff, but I'm glad that stuff is there.
Last edited by saltydx on Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

vitriolic rants
Wow thats a new one :P

Well to be honest, phpBB3 has been in development phase for over 2 years now. Come on what do you expect? You cant bring out phpbb2.x with a few mods slapped on it after keeping the users waiting for so long. Personally I think phpbb is heading in the right direction. Doing so will cater to more people and even seek the less technically minded users to give it a try.

So long as the devs dont forget the reason this project was born they have nothing to fear and can branch in as many directions as they want. Afterall, the industry is moving fast and people's needs change dramatically.
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN