The new phpBB version - Guess the Release Date Competition

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
gweilo8888

Re: phpBB 2.2 - Guess the Release Date Competition

Post by gweilo8888 »

gweilo8888 wrote: Well, since you only allow dates this year, I can't guess. I was going to guess March 18th, 2005, though. ;)
and who knew, way back when (September 04), even *I* was being overoptimistic. ;)

I no longer think it is going to come out in another 5 days; I'm now thinking sometime around July, maybe even August. Shame I only get one vote. :mrgreen:

shushu

Re: The new phpBB version - Guess the Release Date Competit

Post by shushu »

I can't guess the exact date...
But forget about a Beta this year ;)

I was wondering... You should all get used to it. There were so many fake release dates.
Even for late Feb/early March.
So how many Betas are out there? ZERO :D
Maybe you should start a new topic here:

The new phpBB version - Guess the Release YEAR Competition

:mrgreen:

Natan

Post by Natan »

My guess was April first. But now I'm thinking that it'll be the beta, not the final release.
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

dvduval

Post by dvduval »

phpbb 1.0 12/9/2000
phpbb 2.0 4/3/2002
phpbb 3.0 maybe the 3 year anniversary of 2.0? (beta)

Super-Mario

Post by Super-Mario »

I think it'll ve sometime this year... ;)

gweilo8888

Post by gweilo8888 »

Time to unsubscribe from this thread. I got fed up of waiting, and dealing with the recent barrage of security exploits / patches, so I am no longer using phpBB on my site.

I won't mention what I am using, because I don't think it is appropriate to use these forums as an advertisement for a competing product - but I do think the fact that I went through the considerable work of converting my entire phpBB installation to another format because of the security exploits and new release delays is useful information for phpBB's developers.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

shushu wrote: I was wondering... You should all get used to it. There were so many fake release dates.
Even for late Feb/early March.
So how many Betas are out there? ZERO :D
There weren't
any

release dates. That was a potential timeframe which was (as it happens) missed.
gweilo8888 wrote: Time to unsubscribe from this thread. I got fed up of waiting, and dealing with the recent barrage of security exploits / patches, so I am no longer using phpBB on my site.
phpBB has been much less patched than Invison / VBB, so if you are using either of them, then have fun with more frequent patches.
If you are using a smaller system, then the bugs / security holes will be there, they just won't be found as quickly.
Or, most likely, fixed as quickly when, not if, they arise...

Dan

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

shushu wrote: I can't guess the exact date...
But forget about a Beta this year ;)
You sir are becoming very irritating. Stop presuming to know more than you do.
gweilo8888 wrote: I won't mention what I am using, because I don't think it is appropriate to use these forums as an advertisement for a competing product - but I do think the fact that I went through the considerable work of converting my entire phpBB installation to another format because of the security exploits and new release delays is useful information for phpBB's developers.
I always find it strange when people post comments like this ... about anything. You find it all over the place. Read a forum on Telewest Broadband and you'll find "I've switched to Sky", etc. Good for you, hope you enjoy it. I tend to think of these people as being insecure, they need to have others know of their decision ... not to help them rather to reinforce the idea what they did was "correct". Particularly when you find such trolls, sorry I meant posters (:)) continuing to post to said topics arguing their pov.

So, what does it tell the phpBB developers ... it tells them ... well ... nothing really. If you believe another forum product affords you great security ... good luck with that ;) If you feel you must have lots of flashing lights and bells, good for you, I'm sure you'll use them ... at least once ;)

Okay, back on topic ... and let me add that from this point on ... anyone not replying to the topic as intended will face an immediate month ban. Keep in mind the time I do still spend on phpBB is now largely "management" based ... and that includes cracking whips and kicking backsides ;) And I've got my hobnail boots on ...

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

hahah psoTFX you crack me up sometimes :)
Great to see you more involved in the board and posting everywhere making your presence felt :mrgreen:

On topic, I think the beta is a few months away (my my inner instincts wish its 1st april as it would make a great april fools joke).

The final release date will depend on how many betas and release candidates the software goes through. And considering this long delay and from testing the CVS copy I can happily say its developed at a very high professional standard. So lets hope it doesnt take too long to jump from BETA to FINAL!
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

shushu

Post by shushu »

You sir /psoTFX/ don't take it so bad ;)

I am not such a bad boy. I mean I am not here for making you angry. It will sound too ordinary, but I simply love your product. So about "Beta not this year" - It was a joke.
A joke which /as far as I see/ noone got it. Maybe because of my bad sence of humour, maybe because of my bad English.
Anyway I will wait for this beta as long as it needs. No matter when, I will have it one day :)

And because I don't want to be "kicked", I will give my serious opinion ;)

I expect the first beta in late April/early May. Exact date... Hm. 6th of May.
The final... As BioALIEN said, it depends on the number of RC. Maybe early September /I hope/. Date - 10 of September.