version number missing (v 2.0.13)

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
noth

version number missing (v 2.0.13)

Post by noth »

I notice on the bottom of this board there is no v number

is this because 2.0.13 does not increment it?

grrrlromeo

Re: version number missing (v 2.0.13)

Post by grrrlromeo »

I believe it's because search engines were used to search for boards with specific version numbers that had known exploits. This board isn't 2.0.13 by the way. It's the development board for 3.0, Olympus. Things will look different.
I can't delete my signature.

noth

Post by noth »

thanks romeo, things certainly do like different alright :mrgreen:

Dunvallo

Post by Dunvallo »

Btw. while the version number is no longer on any publically visible page, it is still on the admin pages. Along with a check if your version is the most recent. ;)

olger901

Post by olger901 »

It was removed, because of the worm (few lame lines of perl code better said -_-) that struck phpBB alot of phpBB boards and it did this by checking the version number to see which forums were vulnerable and which weren't
-

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

noth -- it is missing (removed) on this new Dev version of phpBB as well as with the latest phpBB 2.0.13 version (and previous 2.0.12 version as well). Getting your live operational sites updated to the new version 2.0.13 helps with security in several ways by removing the publicly viewable version info as well as registration confirmation being added (ported from this new dev version back to the recent 2.0.* versions)...