Topic description and onmouseover preview.

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
wanted

Topic description and onmouseover preview.

Post by wanted »

Hi, :mrgreen:

i have installed phpBB 2.2 to try it. The new board is very great, fast and easy to use.

But now i have a question for you? :?:

In the future release of phpBB (Olympus) you can add a description field under the subject and a preview of topic (like VBullettin) when step with the mouse over a topic link? :P

P.S. Why the admin section of phpBB does not even more a separate template like before, but html is within the php files? :roll:

PUOJACKZ

Re: Topic description and onmouseover preview.

Post by PUOJACKZ »

IMHO, probably, in the next releases, the coders will continue to implement the changes coming from the rpgnet.clanmckeen.com. In that site, for example categories hierarchy, now, is on version 2.1.0, with new useful features.
-
No animals were harmed during the making of this Message.
Rated "E" for everyone - Refrigerate after opening

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

wanted wrote: In the future release of phpBB (Olympus) you can add a description field under the subject and a preview of topic (like VBullettin) when step with the mouse over a topic link? :P
This has been suggested before, and will not be in Olympus. The devs have also said that they doubt the real use of something like this, because it causes further database hits and increases bandwidth markedly for what is essentially not all that useful to most of the community.

P.S.
Why the admin section of phpBB does not even more a separate template like before, but html is within the php files? :roll:
The templates for the admin system have been removed. Basically, it happened too often that people working on templates didn't get something right in the admin section of it, and it also leaves open more room for vulnerabilities.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

PUOJACKZ wrote: IMHO, probably, in the next releases, the coders will continue to implement the changes coming from the rpgnet.clanmckeen.com. In that site, for example categories hierarchy, now, is on version 2.1.0, with new useful features.
erm, no ... phpBB 3 doesn't draw inspiration from any board, site, whatever. The features, I repeat features (not Mods, there are no Mods in phpBB) we introduce are selected based on several factors; user feedback, ease of implementation, phpBB "goals" and "mission", etc.

As for topic descriptions ... IMHO they are utterly worthless. It's difficult enough getting users to post messages with appropriate 60 character titles. In nearly every instance I've seen where boards allow "topic descriptions" they are abused, mercilessly.

However, never say never (for goodness sake people don't read anything into this!)

APTX

Post by APTX »

psoTFX wrote: ...phpBB "goals" and "mission"...
Where can I find these?
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Stated ad nauseum all over the place in I imagine hundreds, perhaps thousands of my and many other team members posts for the past 3+ years ;) And also given on the front page of http://www.phpbb.com." target="_blank

APTX

Post by APTX »

Is this it?
...developing and supporting a stable, free, Open Source forum system.
I was hoping for details or a bit more short term goals. :|
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Ptirhiik_

Post by Ptirhiik_ »

PUOJACKZ wrote: IMHO, probably, in the next releases, the coders will continue to implement the changes coming from the rpgnet.clanmckeen.com.(../..)
Oh my, no :) : there are no links between the both. ie, categories hierarchy was born because I was a moderator on a large vB board, and as my personnal board was getting more and more peoples and topics (it is a MMORPG topic board), I had the need to have a subforums capabilities, so did it. For the same reason, being able to grant responsability to some users but not made them admins, have an ignore list feature, and give abilities to add custom fields to the profile issues to profile control panel. Same thing for advance private msg (contact groups, filter pms, etc.). It is not surprising phpBB team adds too such features to the upcoming release, as I'm not the only ones who need them. BTW, most of the mods were builded onto the phpBB philosophy, so the reality is closer to the contrary :).

PUOJACKZ

Post by PUOJACKZ »

Probably, I have explained myself bad. I would say that, in 3.0 there's some famous mod not, because that BBs is a PHPbb modded, but, because implement, inside, some useful (maybe IMHO), features. I was only saying that, probably, it would be interesting to see, in the next major release, all the features of the mod that we are talking about, not because the PHPbb community copy the other source code, but because the options in, for example, the new Category Hierarcky are very interesting.
erm, no ... phpBB 3 doesn't draw inspiration from any board, site, whatever. The features, I repeat features (not Mods, there are no Mods in phpBB) we introduce are selected based on several factors; user feedback, ease of implementation, phpBB "goals" and "mission", etc.
About the features that will not introduced in 3.0 and next releases, probably, will be filled from some mod authors, in addition of the normal 3.0 phpBB.
I'm not saying that surely that options will be available, but to not lose the hope about seeing them. :mrgreen:
-

PUOJACKZ

Post by PUOJACKZ »

psoTFX wrote: In nearly every instance I've seen where boards allow "topic descriptions" they are abused, mercilessly.

However, never say never (for goodness sake people don't read anything into this!)
I think that, checking about that a feature is not abuses, is not a problem of a coder, but of the admins/moderators of the BBs, no? ;)
I suppose that phpBB is not installed on 80386 CPU servers, with 9600 bps of trasmission bandwidth, but in something more and more powerful, so the problem of DB hits, is not so critical as it seem appear. Maybe adding a lot of source code, could increment the probability of errors that could be exploited, but if you watch everything, is a endless loop. :D

BTW, which abuses have you seen, in the use of this feature? (I'm curious 8) )
-