Will it be easier?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Tacticus

Will it be easier?

Post by Tacticus »

I'm not much of a coder...

Getting mods to work with phpbb and trying to find a way to translate the site has given me a headache for a few days now :)

Nothing I won't be able to figure out in the long term, I'm sure, but while checking the phpbb boards for possible solutions I came across an announcment that spoke of a new version of phpbb coming out "sooner or later".

My question now is... will it be easier for us non-coders/ignorant newbs to work with this new version, to expand and configure it?

If so, I wouldn't mind waiting a month or four before setting up a forum for my site.
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.

bjarne

Re: Will it be easier?

Post by bjarne »

well I seem to remember a dev saying that the new cod is clearer and more modular so I tihink it's safe to say it wil be easyer to mod.

To devs: If I'm wrong pleace correct me

Teddy B.

Post by Teddy B. »

Actually, you've got it backwards, the code is actually LESS clean. In fact, the devs have gone our of their way to make it difficult to read, by doing things out of order, inefficiently, and by putting in code that doesn't actually do anything. So much so, that even the thought of writing a MOD would be unthinkable. ;)

Nullius

Post by Nullius »

Teddy B. wrote: Actually, you've got it backwards, the code is actually LESS clean. In fact, the devs have gone our of their way to make it difficult to read, by doing things out of order, inefficiently, and by putting in code that doesn't actually do anything. So much so, that even the thought of writing a MOD would be unthinkable. ;)
I think working with modules can actually make coding easier for a lot of mod-developers, but to say it's easier for newbies ... dunno :)
Greetzzz,
Nullius

Sphen

Post by Sphen »

Teddy B. wrote: Actually, you've got it backwards, the code is actually LESS clean. In fact, the devs have gone our of their way to make it difficult to read, by doing things out of order, inefficiently, and by putting in code that doesn't actually do anything. So much so, that even the thought of writing a MOD would be unthinkable. ;)
The reason it looks so messy is because they removed a lot of procedural code and replaced it with OOP. While it makes it harder to read at the moment, it will be much easier to write MOD's.

Sphen
I think, therefore I am, I think...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.
Site - Blog

Teddy B.

Post by Teddy B. »

Actually, my post was meant to be sarcastic, in saying that the code is actually much cleaner and more efficient.

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

...did you guys really miss the sarcasm dripping from that post? :P

APTX

Post by APTX »

What sarcasm? Where?
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

APTX wrote: What sarcasm? Where?

CLee

Post by CLee »

DeadEye686 wrote:
APTX wrote: What sarcasm? Where?
As if to prove that sarcasm doesn't transmit well over the Internet. ^^;
Carlos Myers
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club