Bump Interval

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Johnny

Bump Interval

Post by Johnny »

The search isn't working, so:

In Board Settings it says: "Number of minutes, hours or days between the last post to a topic and the ability to bump this topic."

What does this mean and do? Sry if I'm beeing stupid, ...again :)

Graham

Re: Bump Interval

Post by Graham »

Bumping a topic is the ability to move it back up the viewforum list (eg to get something back up that hasn't been answered). That setting is the time which must have elapsed since the last post in order for the option to do this to be visible.

What bumping does is change the time of the last post in the thread.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

so there will be something like a "bump button" showing up after so many days that the original poster can press and the post will show up at the top?

Graham

Post by Graham »

Yes - it appears up near the "print topic" link at the top of the thread. However the setting on this board is quite high so you won't see it here.

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

I thought we weren't allowed to use it.
(It's an option in the permissions system, right?)

Oh, and on a side note, wouldn't changing the time of the last post be confusing for people who have read the thread already?
Rob

SamG

Post by SamG »

While I see the point, I don't think a post with the content "bump" is a better idea. :)

This may take a little getting used to, but I personally think it's considerably cleaner than the traditional way of bumping.

All this is just my humble opinion, of course.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

it's located in "board settings" in the cvs i'm playing with.

Graham

Post by Graham »

Yes, it is also a permissions option - so you can set on a per forum option who is allowed to use it (which normal users can't on this forum at least)

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Graham wrote: Yes, it is also a permissions option - so you can set on a per forum option who is allowed to use it (which normal users can't on this forum at least)
of course you can, because this thing is AWESOME! :)

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Was directed here by another thread asking about bumping. Is there somekind of visual feedback that a topic was bumped? Does it show who bumped the topic (or can only the poster of the last message bump a topic using this magic button)? Does it somehow retain the original post time of the last post?