The new phpBB version - Guess the Release Date Competition

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
gweilo8888

Re: phpBB 2.2 - Guess the Release Date Competition

Post by gweilo8888 »

Resubmitted the same date I'd originally guessed in the comments of this thread, oh so long ago. ;)

olger901

Post by olger901 »

I guessed March 23rd :) 1 month after my birthday, because they said the beta would be in Late January/early february, so no way there will be a gold release 2 or 3 weeks after so I voted a month later :)
-

NeoThermic

Re: The new phpBB version - Guess the Release Date Competit

Post by NeoThermic »

With over 122 votes sofar into the competition, its looking very very intresting. Currently of those votes, only one is incorrect sofar. So a minimum of 121 people have a chance.

Good luck to all. If you haven't already enterd, please do so :)

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

William R

Post by William R »

Well heres my guess. Was doing abit of reading on Mars while ago and this is what I came up with.

Well

The name of the month March derives from Mars

Days of the Week
The seven-day system we use is based on the ancient astrological notion that the seven known celestial bodies influence what happens on Earth and that each of these celestial bodies controls the first hour of the day named after it. This system was brought into Hellenistic Egypt from Mesopotamia, where astrology had been practiced for millennia and where seven had always been a propitious number. In A.D. 321 the Emperor Constantine the Great grafted this astrological system onto the Roman calendar, made the first day of this new week a day of rest and worship for all, and imposed the following sequence and names to the days of the week. This new Roman system was adopted with modifications throughout most of western Europe: in the Germanic languages, such as Old English, the names of four of the Roman gods were converted into those of the corresponding Germanic gods:
Celestial Body ------------------- Modern English
Mars ------------------------------ Tuesday
Tuesday
This day was named after the Norse god Tyr. The Romans named this day after their war-god Mars: dies Martis.
Release Date: Late March. The last Tuesday its on the 29th of march - But I did something stupid and put 22nd =/.

So there is my theory

Tedd

Post by Tedd »

Umm, i'm guessing the 11th of feb.

i know it's too soon, but it is the 42nd day of the year... :mrgreen:
If I seem rude to you, you most likely deserved it, for I have no patience for dumb people and their pointless, stupid questions.

Nippoo

Post by Nippoo »

cyberCrank wrote: The input selection excludes Jan-July and the year, so you clearly think it is coming out before New Years Eve -- OK OK we get the hint that our guesses should be some date before the end of this year ;) (2004)
aah.... :P if only...

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

It's water under the bridge now Nippoo, but maybe we'll see the beta by the Mons of March :)
William R wrote: The name of the month March derives from Mars
I think you may be onto something there William, sort of like the Olympus Mons of March. I am hopeful but think we will be fortunate to get the first beta in March sometime, but lots of good progress and commits during the past few weeks; we shall see...

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

cyberCrank wrote: beta by the Mons of March :)
Or perhaps the Ides?
Shakespeare wrote: <Soothsayer> Jelsoft! Jelsoft!
<Charles> Who calls my name? I am turned to listen.
<Soothsayer> Beware the Ides of March![/code]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A_Jelly_Doughnut

liquidplasmaflow

Post by liquidplasmaflow »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:
cyberCrank wrote: beta by the Mons of March :)
Or perhaps the Ides?
Shakespeare wrote: <Soothsayer> Jelsoft! Jelsoft!
<Charles> Who calls my name? I am turned to listen.
<Soothsayer> Beware the Ides of March![/code]

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
In that case I hope nobody on the development team is named Caesar...

My guess is the 9th of February. (My birthday 8) )

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

Just bumping this. If you've not enterd, do so! :)

Small note. Two users that enterd twice with the same IP and name, you've been disqualified; you know who you are. (as per what I said in the first post of this whole topic.)

Minus the disqualfied guesses, there's been 194 guesses covering nearly 180 unique days. :)

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||&#26032;&#29105;&#12391;&#12377;