upgrading a modded 3.x

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
LodeC

upgrading a modded 3.x

Post by LodeC »

i saw a topic here which i thought asked what i was looking all the time, but the person asked if a modded 2.x can be upgraded to 3.x.

if you have a modded forum with the current versions (2.0.x) and you want to upgrade to another 2.0.x then you can't use the normal upgrade script, you have to use something as "changed files" or so.
my quetion is the following; is there a feature of phpbb3 which helpes you with this? so that the upgrade script (from a 3.x to another 3.x) detectes if you have mods and can say if it can upgrade without touching the modded parts or that some upgrades could not be done (or would break the mod) because of some parts are modded.

i guess this would require that all mods are done via the forum and not manuel via the files. but it would be very very great if such a feature would be there!
es ist noch viel zu früh

APTX

Re: upgrading a modded 3.x

Post by APTX »

Ok. Some mods will be upgradable to 3.0 IF the author of the mod provides such a way.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

baatsaam

Post by baatsaam »

As far as I know, the files themselves are not "upgraded". They are simply replaced by the new ones. What is "upgraded" (or "transferred") is the data from the old structure to the new structure.

If a MOD changes the database structure, then the upgrade might fail. Specifically, if a MOD adds tables and fields, then the upgrade should probably work, but it will ignore the extra tables/fields. If a MOD changes any field definitions, the upgrade will most likely fail.

Don't take my word on it, but I am pretty sure this is how it will be.

JacenSolo

Post by JacenSolo »

^Thats how most upgrade scripts work.

There are only a few around, that PHP scripts will play with files (I saw one that unpacked a gz file and proceeded to install :D

Draegonis

Post by Draegonis »

LodeC wrote: my quetion is the following; is there a feature of phpbb3 which helpes you with this? so that the upgrade script (from a 3.x to another 3.x) detectes if you have mods and can say if it can upgrade without touching the modded parts or that some upgrades could not be done (or would break the mod) because of some parts are modded.
Also avaliable in 2.0.x, it's called the patch file.

Dunvallo

Post by Dunvallo »

I guess a "changes lines" mod will be released (this "mod" updates your phpBB to the most recent version). You can then easily apply this mod with the Easy Mod Installer, which will propably be released for 3 some time in beta (personal guess).
However, like it was for updating 2.10 to 2.11, there will be some issuse for upgrading, let's say, a modded 3.0 to 3.1 which have to be resolved by hand.

LodeC

Post by LodeC »

well, is mods can be installed by the board itself, so not by hand, then the board can also log which files are 'thouched' by mods and so can use that info when upgrading to a newer version!
es ist noch viel zu früh

eyes sama

Post by eyes sama »

you shouldn't have any problems. You might want to have your forum upgraded to 2.0.11. Just remove the mods as upgrade.

TheBlackJesus69

Post by TheBlackJesus69 »

I think they'll provide the necessary code to change it manually file by file (Personal guess knowing how much time I've spent messing with 2.x).

I don't think I am upgrading until maybe 6 months to a year into the release of it. Usually I like to wait that time for any release so that the major kinks, bugs, etc. are fined out, and when I learn to develop on it, it's somewhat persistant and steady workspace.

Just my 2 cents tho
Admin/Webmaster MMORPGBB