Olympus search engine friendly?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
philbert

Olympus search engine friendly?

Post by philbert »

Will Oympus allow search engines to index forum posts?

I know this feature is currently available via modifications.
Will it be built in to Olympus?

I'm hoping I can install Olympus, link to my forum from
my site, and then Google etc will index my entire forum
just as they do my site. Yes?

Thanks!

PS. Sorry, I can't search for this answer, I tried but no go.

Graham

Re: Olympus search engine friendly?

Post by Graham »

Well let's just say that this board gets indexed quite well - got search Google for "area51" for example :)

3.0 will aloow you to define permissions on what the search bots can see
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

What do you mean exactly by "Search engine friendly". I think some search engines will not index URLs consisting of lots of GET variables (dynamic URLs). However, that's just the way PHP works, so the only way around that is to use your web server to allow the forum to be accessed through static URLs. That's not something the script itself can do anything aboutm though.

In addition to controling what indexers do and don't see, I think the forum also serves a light bandwidht version of the content to indexers.

Also have a look at this current thread, it also relates to this subject: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17068" target="_blank

Mesothelioma

Post by Mesothelioma »

Will it have an "archive" like vBulletin or IPB?
Mesothelioma is a dangerous cancer, generally caused by inhaling asbestos particles. It does not appear until after 30 - 50 years have passed. Mesothelioma Council will help you learn more about this disease. You'll be able to talk about mesothelioma in our cancer community forums. We also have a cancer news center that'll feature the latest news in cancer research.

dhn

Post by dhn »

Mesothelioma wrote: Will it have an "archive" like vBulletin or IPB?
No, had to be scraped for time reasons for this release, but is a strong possibility for 3.2.

Mesothelioma

Post by Mesothelioma »

Oh, guess we'll have to wait :)
Mesothelioma is a dangerous cancer, generally caused by inhaling asbestos particles. It does not appear until after 30 - 50 years have passed. Mesothelioma Council will help you learn more about this disease. You'll be able to talk about mesothelioma in our cancer community forums. We also have a cancer news center that'll feature the latest news in cancer research.

mip

Post by mip »

dhn wrote:
Mesothelioma wrote: Will it have an "archive" like vBulletin or IPB?
No, had to be scraped for time reasons for this release, but is a strong possibility for 3.2.
This "archive" of vBulletin is IMHO just a poor way to make the search engines crawl the whole site.

phpBB Oxygen CVS has a fine way to deal with bots - you can e.g. assign a special template to them. This is by far more powerful than the "archive" crap of vBulletin, although the phpBB's developers didn't care much about SEO.

Current phpBB Oxygen CVS already is search engine friendly in terms of getting completely indexed by the bots, but you're on your own when it comes to optimize the ranking.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

What is this phpBB Oxygen and why are you pushing it frequently on our site? We've no problem at all with people forking or otherwise adapting phpBB ... but we do get annoyed at people using our site to publicise such versions.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Besides, phpBB 3 will include separate templates for bots.
Rob

mip

Post by mip »

psoTFX wrote: What is this phpBB Oxygen and why are you pushing it frequently on our site? We've no problem at all with people forking or otherwise adapting phpBB ... but we do get annoyed at people using our site to publicise such versions.
Sorry, I meant phpBB Olympus (CVS HEAD) - don't know why I said Oxygen. I'm still not used to the new naming scheme.