Topic icons... their purpose.

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
DarkOMEN

Topic icons... their purpose.

Post by DarkOMEN »

A quick and simple question: I've never seen the need for topic icons on a forum.... are there any plans to allow users to disable them?

BTW, I refer to topic icons like the green-headed alien preceding the name of this topic in the viewforum display.

Thanks in advance... Olympus looks really great, and I can't wait to use it!

DarkOMEN

Re: Topic icons... their purpose.

Post by DarkOMEN »

Apparently you can't edit your posts after a certain ammount of time passes... a new question... can you define the time after which a user can't edit their post?

Extra stuff to add to my first post:

My reasons for disliking the post icons is that users don't take it seriously, nor do I think it warrants being taken seriously. Users generally pick random icons to lead their topic having nothing to do with the topic at all. Example: the alien head that I chose for this one. I just see it as meaningless, and can see the space being used for other things. Not that this causes any major problems if we don't have the choice... I could just go in and stop it from appearing. But, *if* I was given the option to hide post icons in the ACP, I *would* more than likely disable them.

renxu350

Post by renxu350 »

DarkOMEN wrote: Apparently you can't edit your posts after a certain ammount of time passes... a new question... can you define the time after which a user can't edit their post?
Yeah, your question is just the one that i would ask !

:?:

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

I feel the same way about the topic icons, although I'm sure you can easily turn them off in the ACP ;)
Customisations Team

MKruer

Post by MKruer »

I am sort of the same way about the icons, I do see a need for them in the aspect as a visual reinforcement to the post. However this is also accomplished via “Sticky, Announcement, Regular Post.” If anything if this could be made into a single function, I think it would be better.

As to the question about the time to edit posts, if I read somewhere correctly yes this is a definable option that can be turned on or off, and you can edit the edit time limit too.

Graham

Post by Graham »

Post editing limits are a configurable option in the ACP. You can set the time (or if 0 no limits) on a board wide basis.

Post icons are if I recall configurable on a per forum basis.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

I'm also hoping they can be removed. They are on my hate list along with avatars.

Dan

APTX

Post by APTX »

I dunno... they are just useless... doesn't mean you have to hate them.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

{o}

Post by {o} »

Sometimes there is a use of them.

For example - if I have a forum where people post fan-fictions, the icon could describe the category of them (if I don't want to create separate subforum for each category).

APTX

Post by APTX »

I rephrase:
I dunno... they are just almost useless... doesn't mean you have to hate them.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!