"new" module system?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Paddy

"new" module system?

Post by Paddy »

In the announcemnt about the change to version 3.0 instead of 2.2, there is mention of a "new" module system?

Anybody have any idea what this is about? I wonder if it's some kind of thing like EasyMOD where it will be possible to add new features with the press of a few buttons?

Graham

Re: "new" module system?

Post by Graham »

No, it is nothing like EasyMOD - it simply refers to how the modular sections of the board (the UCP, MCP and ACP) will be generated from a code point of view. The changes should optimize how certain parts of the code perform
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

Graham wrote: No, it is nothing like EasyMOD - it simply refers to how the modular sections of the board (the UCP, MCP and ACP) will be generated from a code point of view. The changes should optimize how certain parts of the code perform

but, that mean editing/adding files in the original phpbb package, or some like "modules" installation style in cms like mambo or postnuke? 8O
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D

APTX

Post by APTX »

Sort of.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

The developers should know by now that the key to the success of phpBB is through its MOD database. The easier they do this the better.

It should be fully modular, adding mods would only mean moving the files to the right place and updating database. phpBB should then recognise these files and load them in, and BOOM they work 8)

alternativly an XML/INSTALLATION file like Easymod can be generated with each mod. To install the files you just have to upload them all to your server in one directory, and upload this installation file there. Go to ACP > Install module. Tell the script where the file is, and everything gets done automatically. Files move in their rightful place, (and database change occur if required files are there).

Imagine what the future of phpBB would be if this was taking effect? Think of it this way, phpBB is more than a forum, its a community tool!
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Do you realise how slow such a system would be?

You want to do anything, and it would have to check for external files, query them, etc.
Rob

tiger2kn5

Post by tiger2kn5 »

Hmm, im confused, I downloaded a few snapshots prior to the announcement and the module system was already in place, i even tried building a little test module and it worked. So does this "new" mean the module system is been re-build from the ground up, or simply that their adding more user friendlyness to it (ie. self installing, etc)

xkevinx

Post by xkevinx »

BioALIEN wrote: The developers should know by now that the key to the success of phpBB is through its MOD database. The easier they do this the better.

It should be fully modular, adding mods would only mean moving the files to the right place and updating database. phpBB should then recognise these files and load them in, and BOOM they work 8)

alternativly an XML/INSTALLATION file like Easymod can be generated with each mod. To install the files you just have to upload them all to your server in one directory, and upload this installation file there. Go to ACP > Install module. Tell the script where the file is, and everything gets done automatically. Files move in their rightful place, (and database change occur if required files are there).

Imagine what the future of phpBB would be if this was taking effect? Think of it this way, phpBB is more than a forum, its a community tool!
Isnt that what pretty much EasyMod Does Anyways.

APTX

Post by APTX »

tiger2kn5 wrote: Hmm, im confused, I downloaded a few snapshots prior to the announcement and the module system was already in place, i even tried building a little test module and it worked. So does this "new" mean the module system is been re-build from the ground up, or simply that their adding more user friendlyness to it (ie. self installing, etc)
There was no module system befor (AFAIK). The modularity is on the code level only.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

what do you mean with that? last time i checked a forum is a community oO