Justifying the name PHPBB3!

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
psoTFX

Re: Justifying the name PHPBB3!

Post by psoTFX »

DragonlordP wrote: huh? Some ppl seem to be upset with me saying you're stubborn and all I'm saying is that if you don't like it it's up to you to change it.
I'm the lead developer of this project, I've made some decisions you don't like. You say I'm stubborn and it's up to me to prove you wrong ... like I said, how old are you? 5? What you're doing is called baiting, kids do it in the playground at school ... "go on, I dare you, go on". The decisions re:3.0 are made, done, over, fulfilled, complete. Now, you can continue "baiting" all you like but it'll get you nowhere whatsoever.

You've been told, over and over that 3.2 is a different story. Some of what you want may appear in that revision. They will not appear in 3.0.

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

What the f*ck are you talking about, "almost zero work"? Go write your own damn bulletin board if it's so easy. Ignorant *beep*.
"phpBB3 is never late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

Graham

Post by Graham »

Whilst you may not agree with the other user, please watch your language.

I think Paul's been quite clear, but let me just repeat the points which have been made many times before.

a) Quick reply will not be in 3.0. Whilst you may want it, trust me, a lot of forum administrators don't - on all the forums I've seen that have tried it it leads to lots of pointless posts. If you really want it, you can add it in with a simple template change (no code changes required as far as I can see). But the feature set for phpBB is based around what will benefit the most users, not what a small vocal minority think they want.

b) Adding lots of "do you want this?" is not invisible, it does have an impact on performance (however small or large this is) for each option in terms of testing it on each page
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

Graham wrote: Whilst you may not agree with the other user, please watch your language.
Yeah I'm sorry. I snapped. There's only that much whining I can stand. :evil: Cant edit it any more though. :oops:

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

Virtuality, yes, adding quick reply IS almost zero work for experienced developers like psotfx. READ what I am saying first and then write your crap.
Graham, just for the record: I DON'T want quick reply, I had it and took it off. BUT there are HUNDREDS of other ppl who want it - let them decide for themselves! Don't answer me "there are mods", you know what I mean. A (disabled by default) "enable quick reply" field in the ACP wouldn't harm anyone.
psotFX, I am fully aware that nothing more will be added to 3.0. If you say that 3.2 is another story then that's fine-it's just that you were saying "that is a feature a forum software doesn't NEED so we don't put it in phpbb". Well, then everything we NEED is right there at 2.0.x, no need to develop 3.0... I think you got my point. I hope you'll change your mind with 3.2 and make the most common mods default, it's a shame making so many users mess with mods etc. Keep up the good work, I hope you got the spirit of my posts and understood that it wasn't offensive to you or your work with phpbb. Cheers..
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

DragonlordP: thats the decision i've reached. phpBB made the feature list small for phpbb3.0 because they just wanna make sure it reaches the public safely first. Then take the time to spice it up with all the features the mass users want/need.

Developers: Trust me, there is a BIG demand for quick reply, it has become synonymous in discussion boards. The fact is, admins want an active board - this is best achieved by making the life of their visitors easy. Depending on what the board is, of course its users will abuse it with rubbish short posts. But thats upto the admin to establish clear, concise and rigid RULES to govern the site usage. One of the activity of a webmaster without any doubt.

With regards to WYSIWYG being used, FCKEditor is a very good Open Source solution to use for this, which is cross browser support. In fact, the developer is a good kind hard working friend who will (im sure of it) come up with a streamlined solution to support such a big project as phpbb. He's already helped me personally to streamline his editor to fit my big blogging project used by over 25000+ users everyday.

Overall this whole discussion served its purpose of communicating our hearts with the developers. I hope there are points gained from this, which can be put right in phpbb3.2! Its not about filling it up with features, but do continue to listen to the users and select the right features (as you've done with attachment mod, template mod etc).
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

sigh, "make the feature list small"? Are you kidding me? Have you actually looked @ what's available from this version of phpBB?

Re: Quick Reply ... we don't add every option that's popular, that's not how things work here and IMNSHO that's not how any project should be run. Else you end up with kitchen sink syndrome which you yourself BioAlien have noted is not appropriate. Indeed there is at least one feature in 3.0 that I somewhat regret adding but what's done is done. I've stated my views on QR ad nauseum here and at the other place. Just as I won't add a calendar to phpBB I won't add Quick Reply. You may not agree with those reasons, that's your choice, your option. However quit telling me, us, how to maintain this project please. The way you post it appears you think we started this project last week ... understand phpBB has been around several years and maintains a very healthy userbase (despite naysayers predicting the end of phpBB at least once each year).

As for QR being "synonomous" with boards ... let's face some facts shall we. There are two other major boards, both are commercial, they compete for the same userbase. If one board adds a feature it's incumbent on the other to respond in kind ... else they risk losing some of their paying customer base. If a commercial project loses customers it risks the future of its business. We don't need nor will we play that game.

And will you please quit with the "Mod" thing ... there are no Mods in 3.0!

CLee

Post by CLee »

DragonlordP wrote: Virtuality, yes, adding quick reply IS almost zero work for experienced developers like psotfx. READ what I am saying first and then write your crap.
If it is so easy to add, why not leave it as a MOD? I see this more as throwing a bone to the MODding community. Paul and the other developers have already stated that they don't want this feature in their software package. So let's leave it at that.

Personally, I don't like to see the file attachment feature installed by default, never mind that I can turn leave it off if I don't want to use it, but that is just me. I'm not going to sit here and make demands for Paul to remove the attachment code because I don't like having it around.
Carlos Myers
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

CLee wrote: DragonlordP wrote:
Virtuality, yes, adding quick reply IS almost zero work
for experienced developers like psotfx. READ what I am saying first and then write your crap.

If it is so easy to add, why not leave it as a MOD?
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more

Virtuality

Post by Virtuality »

For once, we agreed. :lol:

(Not directed at you, CLee)