Justifying the name PHPBB3!

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
psoTFX

Re: Justifying the name PHPBB3!

Post by psoTFX »

"Need" and "want" are two entirely different things ... I "want" an iPod Shuffle, do I "need" one? It's debateable ;) But I'll reiterate, no further features will be added to 3.0 from the feature request list. If you have a request please add it to the tracker (you are free to follow up an existing request to state your pov).

SamG

Post by SamG »

Two things come to mind as I read topics like this, and they are just my own personal reactions:

1) phpBB is MOD-able. The community is free to tinker, and should tinker. The developers strive to deliver a solid core around which the community can tinker. Tinker away.

2) phpBB is fork-able. The community is free to fork. Frankly, I'm weary of people calling the developers stubborn, etc. If the community at large feels the current development team is actually, truly inadequate, then at least a few of those running their mouths would do better to spend their time behind a fork. Fork away.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

Thanks for the replies. Guys, keep working hard, we have your back 8)

Looking forward to the final release of phpbb3.0 and i'll begin my battle with you in phpbb3.2 ;)
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

bah..
As long as I am given the right to post here, I have the right to have an opinion, right or wrong? This was my opinion. I know it's your project and bla bla bla and I didn't put a gun in your head. I think you are really stubborn with some things and if you want to convince me that you're not do it with actions. The "some admins will get lost with too many features" is crap, come on! You can have an option at the ACP saying "I want more options" and have quick reply and custom ranks in there so that whoever doesn't need them can go on like they're not there. YES IT'S THAT SIMPLE. This is almost zero work for you and as long as you don't do it while so many users of your project ask for it I will think of you as stubborn. You are leaving all these people messing up with mods and changing files etc for something you could do in a day and would affect no other user than the ones who want these features. Admit it or not, you are just being stubborn on this one. And don't treat me like I don't have a clue, I run a phpbb forum for almost 2 years now and I know what my community wants better than you.
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

The phpBB community is bigger than merely yours alone... ;)
Rob

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

DragonlordP wrote: I think you are really stubborn with some things and if you want to convince me that you're not do it with actions
How old do you think we are? 5? :D The decisions have been made, the feature list is set for 3.0, that's it, end of story. What happens with 3.2 is something yet to be decided upon.
DragonlordP wrote: I run a phpbb forum for almost 2 years now and I know what my community wants better than you.
As I said, some people cannot see beyond their needs and their desires. I've overseen a community of thousands of people such as yourself for something like four years ... I win ;)

Madcow

Post by Madcow »

WYSIWYG would be kinda cool, but what about all those people who use Macs out there? Alot of times, the advanced javascript required for things like that to work doesn't work on older Macintosh systems, and believe me, there are people who use Macintosh computers in this world.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Madcow wrote: WYSIWYG would be kinda cool, but what about all those people who use Macs out there? Alot of times, the advanced javascript required for things like that to work doesn't work on older Macintosh systems, and believe me, there are people who use Macintosh computers in this world.

...and old versions of Linux, though the Linux community is usually relatively quick to upgrade because it's free...
Rob

profpete

Post by profpete »

If you're that desperate for a WYSIWYG editor, someone will MOD in FCKEditor from http://www.fckeditor.net" target="_blank

Its fairly simple, and I've written my own CMS around it. Works on IE, FireFox and Netscape.

Not searched the mod database yet, but someone might have already done it for 2.0.x...

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

psoTFX wrote: DragonlordP wrote:
I think you are really stubborn with some things and if you want to convince me that you're not do it with actions

How old do you think we are? 5? The decisions have been made, the feature list is set for 3.0, that's it, end of story. What happens with 3.2 is something yet to be decided upon.
huh? Some ppl seem to be upset with me saying you're stubborn and all I'm saying is that if you don't like it it's up to you to change it. I know that the decisions have been made, I was saying the same things before they were and you did nothing, nor did you give a serious answer. You don't do it even now. It's not difficult, please answer me if you have an answer: How can you bring up as an excuse the fact that some ppl may find too many options confusing when you know that you can hide them in an "I want more options" page. How old do you think WE are, 2?
psoTFX wrote: DragonlordP wrote:
I run a phpbb forum for almost 2 years now and I know what my community wants better than you.

As I said, some people cannot see beyond their needs and their desires. I've overseen a community of thousands of people such as yourself for something like four years ... I win
You are the coolest. Problem is, I don't need to see beyond MY needs and desires. I am proposing a formula that
1) is almost zero work for you
2) will be practically invisible to those who don't care for more options
3) will save MANY phpbb users a lot of coding and modding etc etc. It's a pain in the ass having to check out if a mod conflicts with another, if it will be compatible with the next version of phpbb etc etc. How many hundreds or thousands of people have downloaded the quick reply mod for example? All you are saying to them is "I know it's 10 minutes work for me but I don't care, keep putting mods". Way to go, it's your project but that only makes you STUBBORN.
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more