Subscription System

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
BioALIEN

Subscription System

Post by BioALIEN »

Will phpBB come with the ability to provide subscriptions?

One way i can see this done is to create a group {SUBSCRIBERS} and whoever joins it will become a subscribed user.

But what i have in mind is slightly different. What if the plan is to have PAID subscriptions?

Would it be better to have a module to handle users who would like to upgrade their accounts? From free user to subscriber through a payment page. From ACP the admin can set PayPal, 2checkout, egold etc accounts or add payment methods, set price, set term of subscription etc.

Any thoughts on this? :arrow:
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

Graham

Re: Subscription System

Post by Graham »

Certainly it is IMO not something that the forum needs as a core feature, whether someone would want to make it as a MOD afterwards is another matter.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

No, 3.0 will not feature a subscription system. Doubtless someone will produce a new mod or update an existing solution.

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

Certain boards already feature this. Wouldnt it be common sense to keep up with their level of features to make phpbb more upto date with the current market?

It would also bring in more high level ecommerce enabled sites to use it. :roll:
BioALIEN
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

I don't care what "other" boards do to be honest. The feature list for 3.0 is complete, nothing more is being added to it. You are free to add it to the request list for 3.2 if you wish.

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

Thanks psoTFX for the solid stance. I'll open up a new topic which i hope you will take into consideration. It's a list of features to justify the title tag PHPBB3!
BioALIEN

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

The code base end has been completely reworked and rewritten, what better reason than there is that?
Rob

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

psoTFX wrote: I don't care what "other" boards do to be honest.
Thats exactly my point, you need to know what the competition is doing. So phpBB can be one step ahead. Otherwise, they just land here, check out the goods, and go implement them on their software and phpbb reaches v3 and yet still out of date with what the people want.

Rob, this partly answers your question too. But you're more than welcome to check out my new topic on this matter.
BioALIEN

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

You miss the point utterly ... we are not in "competition" with other boards. If another board suits you better please go ahead and use it. If phpBB suits you please use that.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

BioALIEN wrote: Rob, this partly answers your question too. But you're more than welcome to check out my new topic on this matter.
Thanks for your permission. I was a little worried there, didn't want to be breaking any rules. ;)
Rob