Scalability ?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
pguy

Scalability ?

Post by pguy »

Hello to everyone!

Its interesting to see the Olympus project get ready for the first beta. A couple of days ago I noticed that the forum had over 500 people online. I was thinking about the kind of hardware needed to sustain the kind of traffic I saw.

Can the mods here provide an insight into the kind of hardware powering area51 and more info on how phpBB 3 can handle large boards as compared to the V2.

Cheers,

grön

Re: Scalability ?

Post by grön »

pguy wrote: Hello to everyone!

Its interesting to see the Olympus project get ready for the first beta. A couple of days ago I noticed that the forum had over 500 people online. I was thinking about the kind of hardware needed to sustain the kind of traffic I saw.

Can the mods here provide an insight into the kind of hardware powering area51 and more info on how phpBB 3 can handle large boards as compared to the V2.

Cheers,
I can tell you this its wery well opitimsed and far out better on using system resures than V2. I have no ide what hardwere they are using, but if you are using apache on a *NIX system, then you woukd probably not need a wery good sever.
Get Firefox and install the BBcode extension; then you are a real forum power user!
My reason for using phpBB is mrgreen
Peace-Love-Unity-STRENGTH

Graham

Post by Graham »

No we can't provide a comparison at this time.

This hardware is of a reasonable spec, but at the same time, area51 is currently hosted on a machine that is also the DB server for one of the larger phpBB boards out there so is under a fair bit of load already.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

grön

Post by grön »

Graham wrote: No we can't provide a comparison at this time.

This hardware is of a reasonable spec, but at the same time, area51 is currently hosted on a machine that is also the DB server for one of the larger phpBB boards out there so is under a fair bit of load already.
And still I cant notice it being slow!!!!

What site is that? <= very dumb question since Graham semed to be aviding reavling that, can it be gaiaonline :mrgreen:
Get Firefox and install the BBcode extension; then you are a real forum power user!
My reason for using phpBB is mrgreen
Peace-Love-Unity-STRENGTH

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

It's one of the servers involved in running an extremely busy site.

link92

Post by link92 »

psoTFX wrote: It's one of the servers involved in running an extremely busy site.
Isn't this hosted on SF?
Bored as hell. May as well put myself through the (X)HTML validator to see how invalid I am.

Graham

Post by Graham »

Not for a very long time. The development board was moved off their servers sometime just after 2.0 went gold for various reasons.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

Is there a reason for keeping quiet on who it is? They are doing both phpBB and us quite a large favor, and they probably deserve recognition. (Not questioning decisions, just wondering if this was per their request.)

At any rate, it is not difficult at all to track down who it is - I was able to identify it within 2 minutes of examining IP addresses, DNS records, and WHOIS records. And Paul isn't exaggerating when he says it's a very large board ;)

dhn

Post by dhn »

DeadEye686 wrote: Is there a reason for keeping quiet on who it is? They are doing both phpBB and us quite a large favor, and they probably deserve recognition. (Not questioning decisions, just wondering if this was per their request.)
Please understand, if we prefer to leave it to the owner of the board to decide if he wants to make it public to this community. :)

xkevinx

Post by xkevinx »

grön wrote:
Graham wrote: No we can't provide a comparison at this time.

And still I cant notice it being slow!!!!

What site is that? <= very dumb question since Graham semed to be aviding reavling that, can it be gaiaonline :mrgreen:
Hah GaiaOnline wouldnt be sharing a server with some other site. The load on there servers are way to high.