About the upcoming beta

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Johnny

About the upcoming beta

Post by Johnny »

I'm not so familiar with using beta software and was just wondiering how safe it would be using it? It seems to me that everybody is extremely anxious to get their hands on a copy of the new release, and will start using it as soon as the beta is available for public download?

I assume serious bugs and security holes will be found?? Just an assumption :oops: and will they be fixed really fast, or is it wise to wait till after the beta period for a stable version?

The board I run isn't that big, 80 members and about 20k posts, and not many visitors, so if there aren't any "dangers" that normal use of the board can cause (like a db failure?) I will start using it at once.

Martin Blank

Re: About the upcoming beta

Post by Martin Blank »

If you're uncomfortable with it, wait for a full release. I intend to use the betas to explore the features, and the RCs (Release Candidates) to investigate how my server will make the move. Once the final version is out, then we'll probably kick things over pretty fast.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Bramus!

Post by Bramus! »

Wouldn't use 2.1 in a live environment since some features are still missing / experimental. Just await a release candidate (although some bugs may be found in it) or preferably a full release.

wbr

B!

AdamR

Post by AdamR »

Most likely there will be a few problems (bugs and possibly security) with the BETA stage. That's what the BETA stage is for, to work out (by mass testing from the public) any last bugs that the developers didn't catch or have the oportunity to test out.

If you would like to be as secure as possible, wait for a Gold release, or at least the RC stage after BETA. :)

- Adam
A teacher is one who says, "Stand on my shoulders and reach higher."
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
phpBB Support: Search
My Blog: Technology Edition

olger901

Post by olger901 »

Or just start with the beta, and upgrade as soon as a patch comes out like I probaly will do.
-

uniquethagenius

Post by uniquethagenius »

olger901 wrote: Or just start with the beta, and upgrade as soon as a patch comes out like I probaly will do.
me 2 ;)

joefish

Post by joefish »

Personally I'll set up a private test board when the betas come out, so I can start work on integrating everything into my site, skinning, etc. Once I'm happy with all of that, then I'll start thinking about moving my public boards to the new verison.

dagta

Post by dagta »

If you are upgrading an existing forum that you care about, I suggest waiting for at least the Release Candidates.

If you use the Beta and a serious bug is found, you run the risk of a messed up database or possibily being unable to upgrade from the beta to the released version. Consider that the first Beta has only been tested by the developers and they've been staring at the code for years. After a few betas, the code has been tested by a much larger number of users and it's much more likely that major bugs have been found and fixed.

If you've waited this long, wait a bit longer for at least RC1.

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

At first beta I'm going to convert my forum database over to a Olympus installation, and see how it goes (In private, I'll still be running 2.0.x publicly).
When we hit the RC's, I'll convert my board over for general use.

Dan

APTX

Post by APTX »

I think I'll convert as soon as possible. Conidering common sense and my impatience, the second will definetly win unless it is backed up by lazyness...
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!